Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex 2.8 replacement lens?? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Rolleiflex 2.8 replacement lens?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

She712
Tinkerer
Username: She712

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8 C off ebay described as having " a few light scratches" on the lens... It actually has tons of scratches and I think I may need to get the front element replaced. It's a 2.8 Schneider Xenotar. I've been told that this may be hard to find. I'm in NY but willing to send it to any trusted repair person. Does anyone know of availability of this part or what I could reasonably expect to pay??
Thank you

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 323

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only source of that part will be another camera; most likely another Rolleiflex 2.8. I would replace the entire lens rather than the front element for best results. Your best bet is probably to call every repair service you can find and ask if they can replace your lens and for how much. There is a directory of repair services at www.acecam.com, that might be as good a place to start as any. You might also contact DAG Camera at dagcam@chorus.net and see if he might have a lens you can buy.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoot a roll of film with it before you do anything else, that way you know if there are perhaps other nasty surprises in the woodwork, like frame spacing or the frame counting mechanism not functioning properly, viewing and taking lense out of whack etc, etc.
If it does need repair you can get everything done in one go. My Rolleiflex has a taking lense that looks awfull, but to my surprise the photos look no different then when taken with my Rolleicord that has a spotless taking lense. So it might not be a problem. I always use a lense shade which I suspect also helps minimizing reflections.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find an optical laboratory with a view to having the lens polished and recoated. If the scratches are not severe, this is totally viable.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration