Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Contessa needs RF adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Zeiss Contessa needs RF adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought this Zeiss Contessa model LKE (1960) at a recent Camera Fair and its in very good condition except that the Range Finder needs adjusting. The horizontal adjustment is ok but the vertical adjustment is way out.

I've had the top cover off and found a grub screw that adjusts the horizontal position but I cannot see an adjusting screw for the vertical position. Can anybody help me with this problem please. Its such a well made camera with a nice 2.8/50mm Tessar lens and deserves to be restored.

There are no signs of the camera being dropped at some time so its a mystery how the Range Finder could get out of adjustment.

Any help would be appreciated. Regards - Alf

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found the problem. The mirror nearest to the film winder was not fixed properly so that every time the camera got a knock the mirror moved slightly causing the range finder image to move all over the place!

As a result I would think most of the pictures taken over the years with this camera were out of focus. I will now set-up the focus correctly using a ground glass screen attached to the film aperture then fix the mirror with adhesive.

It seems that Zeiss quality control was not that good after all.

Regards - Alf

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 73

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You bought it at a recent Camera Fair but have used it over the years Wot ??
Regardless ..displacement of the primary rangefinder mirror does not require the lens to be refocused. Just set the lens on infinity and then secure the primary mirror for proper conincidence.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ethostech, I think he means the pictures that were taken in the years before he bought the camera.

Alf, Ethostech is quite correct: RF adjustment and lens focus adjustment are not related.

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am only guessing that previous owners had a lot of out of focus pictures due to the loose mirror. I've only had the camera for a week and yet to run a film though it.

I always like to check the lens focus at infinity with a ground glass screen (just in case someone has had the lens apart) I will then adjust and secure the mirror so that the rangefinder image is correct with the lens set at infinity.

Sorry for the confusion over my last posting and you were quite right to point out my mistake. I see that the camera was produced between 1963 and 1965 but after 42 years is still looking as new.
Regards - Alf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration