Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RC rangefinder vertical adj... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus 35RC rangefinder vertical adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andyl
Tinkerer
Username: Andyl

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just bought an Oly 35 RC and the rangefinder is out of alignment vertically. Rick Oleson's tech notes show a screw on top of the rotating mirror unit for vertical adjustment - but I can't shift this screw. I tried dropping a little methylated spirit (denatured alcohol) on the top of it and leaving it overnight, to free up any gunge that's causing it to stick, but I still can't move it. I'm a bit reluctant to put too much torque into it for fear of screwing up the horizontal alignment, so it is possible I'm just not trying hard enough. Can anyone offer the benefit of their experience on this - should this screw be easy to turn?

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer
Username: Greyhoundman

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use nail polish remover to loosen the glue on it. Then be sure the screwdriver tip fits very well. The screw can be hard to turn.

Do the vertical, then horizontal.

Andyl
Tinkerer
Username: Andyl

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Greyhoundman, the acetone did the trick. (I assume it was acetone you were referring to.) You're right the screw was still quite hard to turn, and the adjustment is pretty sensitive - a small turn of the screw make a noticeable difference in the viewfinder. But thanks to your advice I now have a properly adjusted range finder.

Just as an aside... it looks like the health and safety types have taken a whack at acetone here in the UK. All the nail polish remover sold in the main high street stores appears to be of a non-acetone formulation now. Fortunately I happened to know of a nearby store that supplies beauticians and hair salons, and they sold me half a litre of pure acetone (bearing the warning: "for professional use only") for a very reasonable £4.50. I have no idea what I'll do with the other 499ml though :-)

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 65

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Acetone is also lacquer thinner. Maybe it's time to refinish the kitchen cabinets.

It's also a good solvent/cleaner for difficult jobs, worth keeping around if you have room for it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration