Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica LTL stuck winding lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Praktica LTL stuck winding lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slove
Tinkerer
Username: Slove

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is this:

The shutter is NOT cocked, but the winding lever is locked. I suppose the reason is that the wind lock is on and I should 'reset' the mechanism. I have opened the top without too much difficulty and bottom as well but I don't see anything I could recognize as a wind lock.

Could somebody tell me where the wind lock is, and do I have to disassemble the front as well (I hate peeling leatherette...)

This happened while I was testing the camera. The winding lever did not return automatically as it should unless I helped it, but otherwise everything worked normally. Just lack of lubricant I thought. Then suddenly the winding lever locked but the shutter was clearly not cocked. I did not use much force to return it, so I suppose the shutter did not latch but the wind lock is on.

Slove
Tinkerer
Username: Slove

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTT. Somebody must know where the wind lock is in the Praktica LTL or MTL cameras...

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 47

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just had a good look at a Praktica mechanism, and I am pretty sure that, looking from the front, the lock is the lever just below a brass nut to the left of the shutter release button and to the right of the threaded hole for a top-cover screw. If I cock the shutter and lift the lever with a screwdriver (you have to go in quite deep and push it towards the prism), I can then move the wind lever.

Are you sure the shutter is not cocked? I bought a jammed Praktica recently, but the shutter was cocked. With the top off and looking from the front, just to the wind side of the prism there is a bright shiny spring. Just above it is a lever which is hard to see. Pulling this forward with a bent wire released the shutter. It took 2 or 3 wind-and-fires before the shutter was in sync with the mirror, but after this it worked OK.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 48

Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lever I described is definitely the wind lock. I found a picture I took during a previous exploration which shows it from above, with the timing mechanism removed (I could upload it if it helps).

The fact that you had to return the lever manually suggests that there may be something bent or damaged in the mechanism below it (lack of lubrication wouldn't do it), so have a good look around here. I don't think it could cause your problem, but the pawl which engages with a slot to push the wind mechanism round has a light spring which pushes it inward and is easy to unhook when you are poking around in here, so make sure this is in place.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration