Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM focussing screen assembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon FM focussing screen assembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kjcams
Tinkerer
Username: Kjcams

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a mint FM and believe I have all the parts to reassemble the focus screen, anyone have any clues?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 328

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what you mean. The focusing screen in an FM is not removable, so it can't need reassembling in a mint camera. If you can clarify what your question is, then yes, we probably can answer it.

Kjcams
Tinkerer
Username: Kjcams

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Focussing screen is removed, and I have the screen, two retangular pieces, one is like a frame and the other is like a pressure piece, there is also one bar with a screw guide in it and the screw. I was wondering what order they should go back into the camera and a diagram would be very helpful.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 330

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked through my notes, I'm afraid I don't have screen details on the FM but I do have them for the Nikkormat FT3 which may be similar. In that there are 2 transparent pieces (a groundglass and a field lens), a flat metal frame and a larger metal frame. The groundglass goes on the bottom, then the flat metal frame, then the field lens, then the metal retaining frame goes over the curved top face of the field lens. All this goes in from the top, after which you reinstall the prism and then reinstall the top cover.

I don't know what the metal bar would be, maybe a retaining clip for the prism? I assume that if you have the screen out of the FM, then the top cover is removed and you have a handful of loose parts in addition to those you mentioned (prism, retaining clips and springs, wind lever, rewind knob, etc? It's been a very long time since I worked on an FM but my recollection is that the screen has to come out the top and requires a fair bit of disassembly to get there.

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Email me back thru the forum & I'll send a diagram. Sounds like you removed the screw that holds the spd ind. disc bracket.

Frank_linkh
Tinkerer
Username: Frank_linkh

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same issue with my fm. could i get a copy of that diagram also? Thanks, FL

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replacing the focus screen in the early model FM is trickier than it looks, because the rectangular pressure spring is almost impossible to compress and insert without scratching the screen. The only way I have found to replace it is to permanently reduce the bend angle before reinserting it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration