Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 CC Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica Electro 35 CC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Camfan
Tinkerer
Username: Camfan

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I have found a cosmetically nice Yashica 35 CC but the electrics seem dead ( yes -fresh battery!). Neither the shutter or the meter shows any sign of life, but it does fire on 1/500 or whatever the default is.

Popped the top plate and everything looks tidy.No corrision or obviously broken connections.

Any bright ideas out there? Wiring isn't my forte but i'll try anything once!

Dan

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 84

Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the battery check doesn't light up the counter window there may be a corrosion problem. On my Electro GSN the main wire from the battery up to the check button was completely eaten through. When I replaced it the problem was solved. I had to remove the battery compartment and the top plate, snip of the ends of the old wire and run a new one of a similar guage from the switch acros the top and down behind the front of the camera (being careful not to obstruct the viewfinder) and down into the bottom where I could push it into the battery compartment. Your CC may be similar. Good luck.

Camfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Charlie, no the check light doesn't turn on,but there is no obvious corrosion.

Anyone got a schematic for a 35 cc? found one for the 35 series here but not sure if mine would be the same.

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/picnet/Y35G/tech.htm

mmm, might need to delve deeper inside...

Charlie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The corrosion on mine was where the wire attached to the circuit board on top at rhe switch. It was actually detached and had spread along the wire to the test lamp.

Camfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fixed it and feel a bit dumb! It was an invisible coating of corrosion on the battery terminal, scrape with sandpaper has fixed it! Doh. Another lesson learnt!

Charlie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been there, done that on other cameras! Congrats.

Camfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just when i thought it was fixed..!

The green wire going to the synchro post broke, so i resoldered it. But now the synchro seems to always be setting the camera to 1/30 ( even though no flash is attached!). I can see that when the top cover is off there is a small sprung metal lever that contacts the metal casing near the inside of syncro post, the pressure of the top cover forces it to then contact another metal post, this seems to be the switch that is setting it to 1/30. If i interupt this circuit with a bit of tape to insulate between these posts the meter works fine.

What confuses me is that with the camera top on it appears that this contact will always exist.

I'm really scratching my head over this one, should the 2 posts contact at all? Maybe they've been bent...seems an unusual design to have this "switch" at all.

Ideas greatly appreciated

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 30

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is very common for these posts to become bent upon reassembly. It can take a bit of fiddling to get it back together correctly.

You are correct in that the contacts should only meet when a flash is plugged in: certainly an "unusual" design and the only weak spot on this camera.

Camfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Donnie, i'm unclear on how the these two parts would be connected by attaching a flash? Is this mechanical or does the attaching of the flash somehow close the circuit? There is no mechanical connection between these parts and the syncro post. Scuse me if i have misunderstood.

The two posts aren't part of the synchro terminal, rather they are on the top of the camera, near the film rewind handle. They sort of squeeze together when the top goes on.

Thanks for your advice, its greatly appreciated.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes -- when you plug in a flash, a mechanical connection should be established.

There should be a small pin in the center of the PC socket on the side of the camera top plate. When you plug in a flash cord, the pin pushes against a spring steel contact, which then touches an adjacent contact, thereby completing the electrical circuit. The movement itself is very small.

When you say "The two posts aren't part of the synchro terminal" you are correct. This little pin makes the connection between the posts and the PC socket (or syncro terminal). Is the pin still present? Believe me, it's very easy to lose.

And finally, the two contacts should not touch when the top plate is replaced. This is why you are having to put a piece of tape between them in order to make the meter work correctly. When they are touching, the camera thinks a flash is plugged in and therefore defaults to 1/30 shutter speed: a bad bit of design on an otherwise fine camera.

Camfan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Donnie, i'll have to investigate that, i suspect the pin has disappeared, hopefully not inside the camera to cause more problems!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration