Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta 303 compared to 101 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta 303 compared to 101 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pushbutton
Tinkerer
Username: Pushbutton

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have picked up a Minolta SRT 303, (it was wrongly advertised as a 101), what are the differences to the 101 (tragically bust).

Good or bad

I can see the start of a Minolta collection coming, :-)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 333

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only vaguely recall the 303, it seems to me that it was either a number used for a specific retailer chain, or possibly for a specific destination country - I don't think it was a standard series.

All of the SRT models are fundamentally the same camera: differences were in details such as viewfinder readout information, self timer, flash shoe, etc. Mechanically they were all the same (very good) machine.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the 303 is a rebadged 102. If that's correct, I'd be inclined to look at it as an excellent replacement for your busted 101, as long as it all works.

Pushbutton
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick,

Yeah the 303 is different country version of the 102.

and the 303 has a split screen focus and the hot shoe.

Just wondering why people prefer the 101, if the others are so similar ?

Pushbutton
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry guys, should have said I was down under in New Zealand.

Thanks for all the comments, now halfway thru a roll in the 303, can't wait to see the results.

The split focus was a little weird at start, but now all good.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The reason for the large amount of 101s as against 102s is just that the 101 started production in 1966, while the 102 didn't begin until 1973. Also the 101 was cheaper, which always seems to matter. Nowadays, they seem to command much the same price, the difference not being great and dependent more on condition than features.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 334

Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think people prefer the 101 in any meaningful way - there are just many more of them so it's a more familiar number.

A very similar situation is the Pentax K1000 ... it is the LEAST desirable of the K series cameras (all of which, including the K1000, are functionally excellent), but it has long commanded higher prices than the higher-line KM and often comparable to the top-end KX. The KM and KX are both K1000's with more and better functions added, but the K1000 was what people went looking for because it was the name they had seen the most.

Most SRT's are at least equal to the 101. There are a couple, the 100 and the SRT-MC (a store brand badge, I think for J C Penney) that had a feature or two deleted.

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quoting McKeown's 1998 edition:
European market. c1973. Same as the SRT-101, but also features split image screen, multiple exposure provision, and hot shoe.
rlc.

Tlrodriguez
Tinkerer
Username: Tlrodriguez

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Minolta SRT-303 was known in USA as SRT-102 and in Japan as SRT-Super. It is an upgrade over the SRT-101. It has split image rangefinder, hot shoe and redout of f number in the viewfinder. Some has mirror lock up and some not.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration