Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Tourist, Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Kodak Tourist, « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jnovek
Tinkerer
Username: Jnovek

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Full disclosure: I know nothing about older cameras, and have only been into photography for a little while. Please bear with me should I say stupid things.

Looking to getting into medium format and a friend gave me a Kodak Tourist from his "crap that doesn't work" pile. Seems that the camera is mostly in good shape; Anaston lens is clean and no scratches with only a bit of dust on the outside, bellows are in good shape. Only problem is that the shutter doesn't seem to fire.

I can wind up the shutter cock and fire it with the shutter release, but the shutter doesn't go. There is a lever on the side between the flash and the shutter release that will open and close the shutter AFTER the the shutter cock has been wound and released. To rephrase that: I cannot manually open and close the shutter without winding and releasing the shutter cock; likewise, I cannot wind and release the shutter cock without manually opening and closing the shutter with the lever on the side.

The shutter blades seem to move smoothly, but it does take a fair amount of pressure to open/close them with the lever on the side.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I will be glad to provide more information as needed.

Thanks!

Jason

Jnovek
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After a bit of playing, I've gotten the whole lens assembly off the camera, and I suspect that the mechanics just need to be cleaned and regreased. There is a mounting ring on the interior side of the lens. It is quite tightly attached; it has a notch in it that makes it look like Kodak sold a special wrench to remove this ring. What tricks have people come up with to budge this ring so that they can get at the screws underneath?

Jason

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jnovek--I hope that you are aware of the fact that the Tourist camera used size 620 film which is no longer widely available. Size 120 film size is the same, but the spool for 120 is a little larger and will not fit into the Tourist. The size 620 is available from some specialty suppliers but at a premium price.My advice is to have fun getting the Tourist shutter to work, but if you wish to pursue the larger format with a camera about the same size etc as the Tourist, then look around for a German made camera which will probably use the readily available size 120.

Jnovek
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Yes, I'm aware; I intend to respool 120. I have a couple 620 spools in my collection. And if I find that I don't like respooling? Well, it is certainly good practice working with delicate camera components in case I ever have to get inside a camera I care about. I would eventually like to snag a decent TLR, but my checkbook is busy paying off student loans :-).

I've now managed to remove the mounting hardware and the four screws below it, but the I can't seem to open the assembly. How does it seperate? Is there something else I need to do, or am I just being too gentle?

Jason

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Opening the shutter probably requires removing the front cells of the lens. The front one is the focusing element, the one behind that is fixed. It may be screwed in very tight. You would need to buy or custom-make a metal ring wrench to get it off. Don't even try an ordinary wrench. The other option is to cut two notches in the mount of that fixed cell, and use a lens spanner, which is the same tool that matches the notches on the securing ring on the back.

If the shutter is the one with the 1/800 top speed, it's probably hopeless. They were an exercise in self-destruction...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration