Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 139Q shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax 139Q shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Laurentg
Tinkerer
Username: Laurentg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone,

I've got a problem with my contax 139Q: when I press the shutter release button, the camera sometimes does fire, sometimes does not. When using the shutter button on the winder, it works perfect.
After reading couple of archives, I started to disassemble the body, but actually I don't really know what to look at to fix this issue. Any idea??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Laurent

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most likely the switch under the release button is dirty.

On this model, sometimes sometimes water or other contaminant can get around the shutter release button into the interior of the camera and stain the leaves of the release switch.

The archives should give you the method for getting the top off and exposing the switch for cleaning. It is worth doing- the 139 is a fine camera and worth fixing.

Laurentg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mikel,

thanks for your message. I found one archived message about getting the top off and managed to do so. But once there, I don't know how to access those leaves you're talking about. It seems to me that they are underneath the ASA/Shutter plate. Do I need to get the whole mirror box-asa/shutter plate assembly off?

another question, what kind of product should I use to clean the switch (if I ever reach it...)?

Yep you're right, the 139 is a great camera. It has been my main camera since I started taking pictures.

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 43

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is under the asa substrate. Lifting that up does not require a mirror box removal, or even any soldering, if I remember correctly. I have a 139 around here I have been putting off- it needs to have the f stop display re-strung, which is not really fun. Hopefully it will refresh my memory when iI take it apart. In the meantime, another cause of you problem might be that the shutter button is not making full contact with the switch. Since you have the top off and shutter button out, try winding and releasing the camera by using a toothpick or something like it, pushing down on the release switch directly. If it releases reliably, you have found your problem and it is not a dirty contact.

Laurentg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, I am struggling to lift the asa substrate up. Looks like I have enough room but the stuff just don't want to move (I took off 3 screws, is there a 4th one?)
To fire and rewind, shall I put back the battery on? in this case, is there any additional precaution I should take?

Having my camera apart, I realize there is some dirt-fine sand etc... all around. How could I clean the place? I was tempted to blow some air... Is it a good idea?

Many thanks for your help. I learn a lot.

Laurent

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patience is a virtue at this point. It may save your camera.

Put the black screw, the chrome screw, and the other on back. Try the exercise with the toothpick. Take your time. Let me know how it turns out.

The dirt and fine sand can be a real problem. But we can work through this. Your camera has been to the ocean. A bit of sand could prevent the shutter release button from pressing the switch down completely.

Try the toothpick thing and let me know. We can solve this.

Mike

Laurentg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the toothpick-test (well in fact I just put back the release button) and it works!!! That's great!
So it was probably some sand or dust messing with the release button.
Now the body is apart, how could I give a general clean of the place?? It is not that bad, but... a bit of pressurized-air??

How can I make sure there is no more sand on the release switch?

Thanks a lot.

Laurent

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pressurized air is fairly safe if it comes from a rubber bulb. That's what we usually use. Anything stronger can cause very bad damage.

There is no sure way to get rid of all of the sand without stripping the camera down completely. I don't recommend it. I have only done it a couple of times and it is a major effort. I also did it once on a Minolta XG-M which had Pepsi syndrome (or maybe it was Coke or root beer).

While you have it apart, you might also look into cleaning and re-lubricating the mirror flywheel, which will be squealing soon (like an A series Canon) if not already. There is a step-by-step for this also in the archives which I put in a couple of years ago.

Mike

Tavo
Tinkerer
Username: Tavo

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Contax 139 Quartz shutter problem. Pease help me to get the magnetic switch. I allready took the top part out. thanks in advance

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 96

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What switch are we talking about?

The shutter release switch is a contact switch.

That leaves the remote switch which is electronic and the self timer which is electronic.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration