Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Newb question about OM camera disasse... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Newb question about OM camera disassembly,,.. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings fellow Olympus owners. I have a working OM 1 in silver, but I like the black finish much better, so I have a black parts camera that I want to remove all black trim from to swap with the silver body. Are there any awful surprises in store for me if I remove the the needed parts such as the bezel behind the shutter speed ring? Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a repair manual on this site. Most bottom plates are easy but there may be settings that should be made in order not to have to replace dials , I set a shutter speed and write it down , same for asa this will help later when its time to re asssemble..good luck Don

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice. The bottom plate is a cinch, the top looks to be fairly easy too, but that exploded view is kinda hard to see, so I will peruse it thoroughly for any possible pitfalls.

Iang
Tinkerer
Username: Iang

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look at this site http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/ you will find a reaaly good magazine article with full details and photos showing how to dismantle an OM1.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks lang, that's the first place I started and the reason for my new obsession. I've got a "broken" OM-1 almost back together and in working order again thanks to all the info there. :-)

Rick11949
Tinkerer
Username: Rick11949

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know a source for used or new OM1 parts? I need to replace the penta prism.
Thanks.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those prisms are in short supply. You might get lucky and find a newer OM that did not suffer the ravages of foam rot. A body that suffered a catastrophic end with a prism still intact might be possible to find,...I'm still looking for a warehouse full of NOS prisms myself. :-)

Nikos
Tinkerer
Username: Nikos

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pacific camera has for sale new prisms for Topcon D-1. I am almost sure they will fit the OM1. Believe it or not most cameras wear identical prisms. Nikos

Nikos
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I measured a Topcon D-1 prism. The base is 35.5mmX23mm. The anterior height (the tallest part of the prism) is 29.5mm. The posterior height (the part of the prism closest to the eye of the photographer) is 22mm. These measurements are not very exact since the prism is new and my calipers are made of steel so I didn't want to press too hard on the prism. If you are interested in this solution I will get some batteries for my vintage digital camera and will post some pictures of the prism. Nikos

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm interested,...post away!
As long as the prism fits inside the housing, I don't care who made it.

Nikos
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are two photographs of the D-1 (aka RE-2) prism. Let me know if you need more pictures.D-1 Prism

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, that does look like the same configuration. Next time I tear another OM apart, I will compare. Thanks for the pics.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that's it! :-) Good find Nikos.
I just cracked two OM 2s open to remove the rotted foam and I got the same measurements.
If these two are the same they must have been made by the same Japanese company for perhaps several different camera manufacturers. I'll have to pay close attention to the outside shapes of prisms on busted parts cameras,....see if maybe I can find other sources as well.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw an old Konica online today that looks like it has that same prism also, judging by the configuration of it's prism. It was an Autoreflex A.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just cracked open an old Yashica "Penta" I bought for parts because the prism housing looked like it contained this same prism.
Lo and behold it does!!! :-)
Now, if nothing else, I have a clean replacement prism for an OM 1 or 2.
The Yashica doesn't appear salvageable to this neophyte, but there is a wealth of parts inside.

Fastoys2nv
Tinkerer
Username: Fastoys2nv

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just pulled the prism out of a scraper OM G with the though of replacing the one in my OM-1 it looks just like the one pictured above. It's just like new. Bought the camera on ebay last night for the 50mm 1.8 for the huge sum of 13.50 never even thought about the prism.

Fastoys2nv
Tinkerer
Username: Fastoys2nv

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just finished re assembly. The prism "Fits Like A Glove" Wow what an improvement. Pretty easy to do also.

My baby is all better now

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration