Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Somebody else's pictures. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Somebody else's pictures. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of us have most likely bought a vintage camera that contained film exposed by the previous owner.
I recently bought an Olympus OM2 which contained a roll of Fuji Super HG which I have not yet had developed. To be honest, I am a bit apprehensive to get it developed. What if the former owner was a psycho?
What have you found? Good or bad? Anything unusual or even downright extraordinary?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once was given a kodak 116 box camera with film . I see saw developed it and there were still images on it from the honeymoon of a relative. Boy was she surprised, Her late husband and her pictures printed up nicely. I once sold cameras back in the 60s, a customer brought in a polaroid 95a with film still in it. She wanted to see how to work it. I being curious pulled the tab and opened the back tdrap door when time was up and there was her late husband's picture. I had to get her a chair. I didn't want to lose a customer to a heart failure. Don

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It can be way-cool to get a blast from the past like that! Maybe even dangerous. But a rush either way.
I will make it VERY clear to whoever develops my film that I was not the photographer.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 73

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a film in a Kodak Six-20 B and developed it at the end of a batch of films from one of my Box Brownies, so the tank was getting a bit low. Had I known I'd get four shots of Stonehenge in the 1950s (judging by the clothes on the people) I'd have made up a bit more developer, as they have terrible foam marks all over them.

More recently I bought a "junk" OM10 for the manual adapter that had a film in, just wound onto the take-up spool. Well, two new batteries and a prod with a paperclip later and the "junk" camera works better than my "good" OM-10! One day I grabbed the nearest film, and it was the one that had been in that camera when I bought it - someone had used it and not completely rewound it, so everything I took was on top of someone's mediterranean holiday snaps! They were very bemused at Snappy Snaps - "We expected nice photos of flowers!" - and it took me a while to work out what had happened.

Moral of the story - think twice about using a found film!

Adrian

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently developed a roll from a Yashi GSN that came in from ebay. It had an office party from possibly India from the 70s on it. Pretty tame for the most part but super interesting. One of the shots I printed in B+W (the roll was color). We now have this total stranger looking at as from the fridge and he probably never looked better. My GF refers to it as a "found art object". Loads of fun for now but maybe the next roll will be a crime scene or something worse. I suppose once the camera is yours so is the film. Different story if it is in for repair though. As an add I seem to recall goes "don't let those memories get away", even if they are not yours.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe there should be, (or is?) a web site devoted to reuniting people with their lost photos?

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 182

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last time I had someone else's film developed it was fat grannies in swimsuits, on deckchairs and one of them half naked. Guess what would have happened if it had been teens or younger children, I will definitely not take onother of those films to a photoshop.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just the of horror story scenario we all fear the most! I would have film developed that is maybe over 40 years old or so, but nothing more recent.

Bill_alexander
Tinkerer
Username: Bill_alexander

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a old folder at a yard sale in the summer
of 1976,,it had film in that had been exposed, and I had it developed with some film I shot in
old Kodak Autographic..You could Imagine my suprize when the picture in the yard sale camera
were of the same subject Shot on the Autographic
of The International Bridge Here in my Home town
What a rare thing..Only these yard sale pictures
were shot about 1936,,and when you lined the pictures up next to each other, they seemed to be taken from about the same position,,,wow...
never gave this much thought until I read this post..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration