Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss lens on a Contax RTS II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zeiss lens on a Contax RTS II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tcollopy
Tinkerer
Username: Tcollopy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I own a Contax 137MD,RTS, and RTS II. I recently purchased my first Zeiss lens; a Planar 1.4 50mm T*. It works great on the 137 and RTS, but when mounted on the RTS II, the mirror doesn't return when fired. When I begin to remove the Zeiss lens, the mirror then returns. All other Yashica ML lenses work fine on the RTS II. Any ideas?

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 25

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi T,

It's a pleasure to discover someone who hasn't forgotten the enduring qualities of the Contax SLRs.

With respect toyour RTSII, the mirror should return automatically on all shutter speeds (and Auto Aperture Priority), in addition to the mechanical 1/60th second back up shutter (on the bottom right hand side of the lens mounting). I presume the mirror lock up lever is not raised, otherwise nothing could be visualised through the viewfinder. Similarly, a loose battery contact or wire can lead the mirror to jam. This is easy enough to test for.

If your mirror sticks without returning, there are several possibilities. Does the mirror stick with the same lens, or with all lenses?

The most common tends to be a disintegrating baffle on the roof of the mirror and the base of the pentaprism. This can be observed by removing the lens and peering into the margin of the pentaprism. The baffle dampens shutter vibration and when it disintegrates, it becomes very sticky. Check your mirror for a strip of residue. If this is present, remove with industrial alcohol.

The less helpful alternative tends to relate more to the MM (Multi-mode) C/Y bayonet lenses. These are designed in Japan at a time beyond the Porsche restyling of the original RTSI into the II. The switch of material of the lens flange from an inflexible steel like metal to a softer compound, can cause false aperture values, usually of deviation by 1/4 - 1/2 a stop, in addition to mirror locking.

One other possibility is that your pentaprism is about to collapse and the mirror assembly is on the verge of jamming (hope not).

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

RJ

Tcollopy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks RJ for the quick response.
The Zeiss lens works fine on the 137 and RTS, and my other Yashica ML lenses work fine on the RTS II. It is just the Zeiss/RTS II combo that has the problem. I did replace the mirror dampers on the RTS II, but no change. As I begin to remove the lens from the body, the mirror does return.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 28

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,

Just for cross-referencing, I've checked with my RTSII & 50mm f1.4 Planar and there is retention of the mirror after the exposure. It seems more likely to be a lens flange tolerance issue with the 50mm f1.4 Planar's rear flange and the female flange (tab at 1 o'clock) of your RTSII. It is possible to get this realigned for the specific lens combination you are using.

Perhaps if you don't wish to pursue the expenses of a qualified repairer for such a minor issue, one alternative would be to transplant the lens flange from a Yashica bayonet lens (any lens - it doesn't matter which focal length) to your Contax 50mm f1.4 lens as an exchange. That way, your 50mm f1.4 lens will work fine with the RTSII.

Perhaps this recommendation is biased towards the RTSII; it is significantly lighter, more classically designed than the later RTSIII and has all that a photographer requires in a tremendous SLR.

I'm presuming that there is no evidence of impact damage, either open or closed in the RTSII body.

Kind regards.

Tcollopy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All excellent information RJ. Thank you so much for your assistance. I might just try swapping the lens flange as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Carvac
Tinkerer
Username: Carvac

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contax 137 MA and a 139;
Some of my lenses (Planar 50/1.4, Tessar 45/2.8) jam the mirror on the 137.

I examined the mirrors and the 137's mirror is mounted about 2 millimeters farther out from the hinge, and protrudes past the foam around the focusing screen.

I looked at the back of my Tessar 45/2.8, and the flange and the plastic around the rear element was worn. I filed down the flange, but at infinity focus, the mirror still jams.

How can I adjust the position of the mirror inwards?

Carvac
Tinkerer
Username: Carvac

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should've made a new post, so I did. I have pictures on the 'Maintenance and Repair' section.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration