Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodachrome question,....Re-freeze??? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Kodachrome question,....Re-freeze??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 52

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A film issue I was wondering about.
I have a few rolls of kodachrome in my freezer that I intend to shoot this fall season.
I am wondering if I should put the film back in the freezer AFTER it is exposed and store it until it's time to send it out for processing? Or will this harm it?
Thanks in advance for answers and technical advice.

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why wait to have it processed? OTOH, I've seen K64 that was freezer stored AFTER exposure for a few years. Why the guy did this I don't know but it did'nt harm the film. If you only shoot a roll at a time & want to take advantage of bulk mailing (PO raised rate on single roll to $1.13 last May). 3 rolls cost about $1.60 to send. Frankly, I'd take it to your local Walmart who charges $3.88 per 24x. Cheaper than paying for a mailer + postage. No matter how you send it, it all goes to Dwaynes in Ks. Their work is excellent.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 53

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olly,

I can grasp this issue, if only because I regularly shoot with a 1 year delay in processing my personal work. Also, working overseas, but with a darkroom in another country, it becomes inevitable that film needs to be stored safely, particularly in humid or very warm countries. Mostly I gather other photographers store film this way due to time constraints from putting commercial work first.

Storing film in a freezer can be a perfectly safe, however there are risks. The film base being celluloid, needs to be shifted from one temperature to another in stages. For instance, if you have a freezer capable of -40 degree Celsius, then a move from room temperature to -40C would also certainly cause the emulsion to become rapidly brittle, if not fracture.

Assuming your film is is dry, seal in its canister and in a sealable plastic bag. and expel the air from the bag. Refridgerate overnight until the temperature of the film drops to +1 - <+5 degrees Celsius and then transfer to the freezer compartment (-5C). If you envisage not processing the film for some time, then the film should be moved to the coldest compartment in your freezer.

Similarly, when the film is due to be processed, the film should be dethawed sequentially, and not taken out from a freezer of -40C to +20C straightaway. I usually accomplish this step in 48 hours.

It might seem odd or rarefied to read this, however freezer management is important, particularly if you work with larger volumes of photographic film.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

RJ

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 53

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks.
I was just wondering if re-freezing would cause problems due to condensation. I will probably shoot all 5 rolls that I have within 2 or 3 weeks, maybe not all at once. So since it is dated film, (a year or more past expiration) I thought it would help to store it in the freezer again for a month or so until I get it all processed at one time.

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that Kodak warns against freezing, and recommends that professional films be stored in the refrigerator.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also film should be allowed to come to room temperature before using. I believe this is so that it doesen't gum up and leave parts on your pressure plate which can harden and scratch film. Proper sealing is important too, I keep refrigerated film in tightly closed cans and or reseal bags. Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration