Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

F-1 not sensing lowest f/stop Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » F-1 not sensing lowest f/stop « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rosewood
Tinkerer
Username: Rosewood

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all. I seem to be having a bit of a problem with my F-1. With all three lenses I have for it (50 f1.4, 28 f2.8, and 35-105 f3.5), the light meter does not react when the f/stop is adjusted from the widest setting to the next two. For example, if I open my 50 up all the way, the meter reading is the same at 1.4 as it is at 2.8. This seems to be a problem with all my lenses. Yet the strangest part is that when I switched to a different F-1 body, the problem persisted. While it would seem obvious that the lenses would be faulty, I can't see how all three lenses could develop exactly the same problem like that. If any one has any information, it's very greatly appreciated. Thank you

Verduzcor
Tinkerer
Username: Verduzcor

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FD lenses works that way, with the lens mounted to the camera, until the shutter lever is cocked, the iris moves to widest position to work in automatic. be fine.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem with a pair of A1's and two Vivitar lenses. Turned out that both cameras just happened to need a CLA. All is well now.

Jrcarden
Tinkerer
Username: Jrcarden

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of things:
1) You already know this but F1 meter needle is not supposed to move when the aperture is changed. Instead, there is another needl ewith loop in the end that moves and you adjust aperture and shutter speed until the two line up.

2) If you activate the stop-down feature on either verson of F1 and then mount a lens, the lens will not stop down at all. This could be your issue. On the NewF1 the stop-down lever is activated by the silver cylinder that is at the lower part of the body (shutter release side) near the bottom of the lens mount. It should be in teh "pushed in" position when you mount a lens. On the mechanixal F1 the stop down feature is activated with the self-timer lever. It's hard to explain but suffice it to say you should not mount a lens on FD camera with the stop down feature activated.

Best of luck - Jim C.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jrcarden is right. With the lens off, look into the mount on the body. If you see a red dot at the bottom, the stopdown is activated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration