Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Recommended classics? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Recommended classics? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey!

can anyone reccomend me a SLR that's
-durable... fall damage and something that will be sorta accurate to this day...
-mainstream ish, if i get the money for eckstra lenses
-cheap, preferably under $50
-preferably doesn't use 1.35volt batteries... they're a pain.

oh yeah, mirror lock up and depth of field preview would be nice too..

would the Canon FTb be a good choice? where to buy... not ebay?

cheers,
Dragunov

Frankl
Tinkerer
Username: Frankl

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My opinion, for what it's worth...
The FTb is a great choice but, it does use the 1.35v battery. In that class, the Canon TX could also fit the bill but, like the FTb, it also uses the same battery. You might consider the Canon AL-1. They use two AAA's, are semi auto or full manual, can be "had" for very reasonable prices BUT, they are not as sturdy as the FTb or TX. Also, the battery doors were a real problem. If you find one of those, make sure the battery door/retaining cover is OK. On the "low end" of the dollar scale, the Canon T50 comes to mind. It uses the same FD lenses as the others, has auto film advance, semi auto, uses two AA batteries but, the battery door can be a problem. Usually though, you can find those and they are very easy to replace. You can usually find the T50 for well below your $50 target. Ebay is not always bad.... Check the feedback ratings and ask the seller questions. You can find a good deal if you are careful. I have had pretty good luck with Ebay, by following those rules and not to get in too big a hurry. If you "miss" one, another will be along shortly. Good luck in you quest.
Best Regards,
Frank

York_praktica_fan
Tinkerer
Username: York_praktica_fan

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dragunov

your asking a lot for all that for less than $50

But I'll throw the L series Prakticas for your consideration. Built cheaply but robustly, fully mechanical they are easily serviced as (except for meters) there are no electronics to fail. getting long in the tooth now they'd probably need a service - the light seals at the door hinge fail but that can be quite easily done as DIY - but the rest of the camera, being clockwork - if it works it works!

They all have M42 mount - very easy to obtain, and of course some excellent optics available

Early ones (LTL, LTL3, MTL3, MTL5 and other clones) use a 625 cell and are perfectly happy with the modern 1.5V ones (bridge circuit metering) The MTL5b uses a R76/LR44 cell which is 1.5V anyway. The MTL50 uses a V28 6V cell to power its very nice LED metering.

Thanks to the stop down metering they have depth of field preview.

There's also the built like a tank Zenits from the USSR, don't expect subtlity, the appeal mostly to those with a little Ostaligia. Build quality was nevr good, but if it is is still working now... M42 lens mount too, These sell for peanuts! (in UK anyway)

Probably undervalued are the Pentax P30 (P3 in Morth America) series, the P30N and P30T models are more verstile than the P30, the T models are still quite young and may have a few years in them before needing servicing, the cameras use the easily available Pentax K mount and the less common KA mount - the latter are getting expensive as they are compatable with the pentax/Samsung DSLRs

Where to buy? charity shops (I think they're called Thrift Shops in USA), second hand dealers - you know the sort of shop on the edge of town that sells second hand guitars and HiFi often carry cameras too, at least you can give the camera a good look over.

Hope these thought help

Stephen

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Dragunov: There are many reliable 35.s Minolta srt series excellent, pentax K1000, nikon, etc. The thing that i always told customers is write down the features you want on a camera then compare what is available. Taking into consideration the types of photography you might be doing. Now days I am particulary interested in staying with film cameras, some day they will have a digital with the robustness of a 35mm, probably at a price that I can't afford Don ,,,

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm, maybe i should get some 1.35v battery replacements, i could use them on the Canon F-1 i'm borrowing at the moment... i'd buy a F-1 if i had the $500 (wait, do they go for $500 on ebay, or was that just what i saw...).

could i nab a FTb for less than $50?

and would it be likely that it would not need recalibration if the seller says that it's not film tested but works...?

Nickm758
Tinkerer
Username: Nickm758

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about an old Pentax screw-mount camera? An SL for example. No internal meter so no batteries and they can really take a beating.

Nikomats are good, solid cameras, too.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plenty of good suggestions. Don't overlook the bayonet-fit Yashicas, like the FX series. Take standard LR44 type button cells, for metering only, simple, reliable, and will accept the Contax-fitting Zeiss T* lenses made for their Contax stablemate SLRs, lenses of superb quality, and still easily available. I've had my FX3 for nearly twenty-eight years, and the only maintenance it's needed has been a new set of light seals. It is still in regular use, and is always in my bag, either as the main camera or the mechanical backup to one of the electronic Contaxes.

A Yashica FX3 with the Zeiss 45/2.8 'Pancake' Tessar is a fantastically light and pocketable SLR. The 'Pancake' is barely larger than a lens cap.

Alex

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 28

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go up in price a bit and you can buy a "New F1" for $125 or so on ebay. Excellent camera, uses a 6v battery, and great lenses are fairly inexpensive since Canon abandoned us with the EF mount. I'm working on a digital back for one of my F1s now, but Canon doesn't make it easy.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i got a FTb for $62 (shipping) and then got another 'broken' body for free (silly lightmeter, can't figure out how to get it back to factory settings... it "works".

the old F-1 is nice... fully manual is the way i'm going, in fact, i'd like to buy a Nikon F for dirt cheap ( yeah, right) next. so if anyone has a not-too-busted one for less than $20, do say so...

Canuck_curt
Tinkerer
Username: Canuck_curt

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minolta SRT 101

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently found a $100 Nikon F3 w/motor that works perfectly. Keep looking till you find just what you want, it's out there!

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wowzers. i found a black working Nikon F without back or prism for about $30 on ebay and one with a back for about $50, but i let 'em go hoping to get a better deal on a busted but similar condition one. and in black paint too, that's so much more 'pro' :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration