Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CADDY Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » CADDY « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, not the Fujica half-frame!!!!! This has even beaten the great Bob Cole!
Imagine an early 35mm wooden boxy Agfa Memo, and expand the shape of it a bit. Comes complete with wire finder, and a clip-on wlf similar to those you see on various folding cameras. Open the side opening back, and it recommends the use of Ensign film. Might be British, but then again could be an import for British market. Anyone out there with any ideas?

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My McKeown's lists an Ensign CADET...

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Francis!
Sorry for any delay, some nerd hit my computor with a virus...
What year of Mckeown's? Any more info' about this camera?
Regards,
Barnum

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Francis!
A very early start & a 'bit of a do' in the evening with corks popping vigorously, meant I was not on top line form with my earlier reply! The Ensign Cadet, although a box, is definitely not the camera. I doubt the CADDY is even by that company, since every Ensign in my experience has the Ensign name upon it
Regards,

Francis_otto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Barnum,
My McKeown's is 1990-1991 (Born in Cornwall, you see, so mean as c*t s***t):the good book says:
'Ensign Cadet- c1927-31. Simple box camera with leather-grained covering. Folding frame finder on side. Everset I+T shutter, achromatic lens. $15-25.'
I just have a feeling that no other camera-maker would put a sticker inside, recommending the use of Ensign film.
If I weren't 'tighter than a c**b's a**'('...and that's watertight!'), I'd perhaps have a more recent McK., which might list cameras which were beneath their notice in 1990/1.
No hints on the lens?
Houghton-Butcher-Ensign were able to claim to be the largest camera manufacturer in the Universe/Planet/Empire/Kingdom/Walthamstow, or something (see Adrian Richmond's site)so produced a lot of cameras.
I've just bought an Ensign Focal Plane - which turns out to be an 'Ensign Speed Reflex', with an Aldis-Butcher 4.5/4 1/4in. lens, and am trying to find out more about that, other than that it works!
FJRO

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Francis,
I've given up figuring out what early camera manufacturers got up to! Definitely not an Ensign Cadet!!! No markings on the lens. Thanks for the website info', will check.
Will also check out your Ensign Speed Reflex to see if I can supply more info'.
Regards.

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Francis!
Hopefully the following adds to your knowledge of the Speed Reflex. Assuming yours is the standard model..1929.FP shutter.6x9cm on 120.Various lenses, including Ensar F4.5. Book value as of 2001-2, $175-250. Hope something there is of help.
Regards

Francis_otto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Barnum: I bought mine, having seen The Blue Book giving a four-figure price for the Ensign Focal Plane. Someone had added what looks like the Albada-finder from an Agfa 'Billy' Compur to the top, borrowing two of the hood-cover's screws to fix it to just below the identification-plate... 1929, eh? I'd better get some spats to go with it!
FJRO

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! Francis,
Not to mention a suitable bit of headgear! I had one, had to stop wearing it when someone took the pith out of it!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration