Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F1N mirror problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon F1N mirror problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Russwm
Tinkerer
Username: Russwm

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a used Canon F1N at an estate sale. Everything seems to work fine except for a couple of problems. First, when I press the shutter, the mirror goes up slowly. It actually starts very slowly, then goes up faster. It seems to come down appropriately, and does not stick at the top.
The second problem, is that at speeds of 1/60 and below, it acts like it is set at bulb. The mirror will stay up and the curtain will stay open until I release the shutter button.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks. Russell

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 120

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Russ it seems that it has been tensioned and left that way for some time. The shutter spring may have to be tensioned a bit. A cleaning may be the first thing to do. Any manual camera should have a at least bi-annual cleaning. The canon F1 is a great camera and worth fixing. Don

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could this be the New F1? If so, try a new battery.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 219

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did wonder about that. The later model of the original F-1 was only marketed as the F-1N in Japan. However; no matter what the actual model, the initial mirror movement indicates that the mirror mechanism/damper needs a clean and service. If the camera is the later version of the original F-1, the slow speed performance is indicative of the need for a CLA. Do not mess with spring tensions until the mechanism has been cleaned and relubed, Canon shutter springs are very robust and do not loose their tension easily.

I think Don is being very overcautious in his bi-annual clean, especially for a F-1 in amateur use. If the camera is properly serviced using modern lubricants, and ALL the foam replaced with modern, stable products - then the camera will be OK for 2/3 years, if not longer, before a CLA is needed. Obviously if you are the type of person who keeps placing his classic on a sandy beach, then a more drastic regime will be needed.

Like all precision machinery, you can do as much damage by taking apart too frequently, as you can by not servicing at all. I have always used a service regime based on frequent shutter speed checks. Even when I used my cameras professionally, they were only service biennially.

Russwm
Tinkerer
Username: Russwm

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is the new F1. It is not marked as "F1N". I was just using the designation I had seen for this camera. Guess I am showing my newbiness. I will try a new camera, and if that does not work, will check into the CLA. Thanks for the help.

Angulon
Tinkerer
Username: Angulon

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One simple possible solution for mirror jamming on the "New F-1" , delay or slowing of the mirror (and therefore also shutter release):
"Mirror charge lever" (located at the bottom of the camera) has contact to the bottom cover because cover has been bent inwards by some impact.
To check if this is the reason, remove bottom cover (two screws, take care of the seals for winder contacts and tripod mount!). If you see a brass-coloured scratch mark inside the black painted cover (on right side of camera, about where "CANON JAPAN" is printed from outside): congratulations!

When the shutter button is pushed, this lever moves back with the spring-loaded mirror mechanism, as the mirror moves upwards. The force causing this movement backwards is low, so if it stucks to the bottom cover with its protuding sliding ring on a rivet, the mirror will be slowed down or blocked.

Just straighten bottom cover or even bend the area with the brand name slightly outwards (careful!, a piece of wood, a light hammer and a newspaper to put under the cover while pressing could be useful).

I had frequent mirror jammimg problems for years and even tried to release the mirror by putting the camera hard on my knee or hand - which even made it worse because of bending the thin brass bottom cover!
After removing the cover, I found the scratch mark, but as the lever that caused this is moved by great force (while l o a d i n g the spring!) I did not expected this could be the reason.
The rivet of the lever is nearly at level with the camera body, so the hardly visible bending of the cover was sufficient for blocking the Mirror.

Maybe this could be helpful for someone with mirror problems at the F-1N.

Good luck,
Matt

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 81

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RE Glen and Don:

as you might know (or not) I am using a borrowed Canon F-1. It works perfectly, except that I had to replace the door foam. all shutter speeds are okay etc... and it hasn't been serviced in at least 5 years (modest estimate), maybe never.

Jameshl
Tinkerer
Username: Jameshl

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Russ I have the exact problem. I changed the shutter speed from "Flash" when I had a charges Speedlite mounted. It went pop, the Speedlite is dead and the shutter behaves as you described. The speeds below 1/125 are controlled by an IC (T1500). I have blown up the IC when I changed speed.
I am looking for a main board. The IC is soldered with 3% silver and I don't want to have to get into that level of repair.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration