Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 - doesn't like its 'A' setti... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon A1 - doesn't like its 'A' setting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I paid £10 for this A1 in pretty good cosmetic condition, but with a scratched/fungoid lens (FDn/50/1.4). A decent battery in it gets the display going except with the lens in 'A' setting; furthermore and also too, as our old History master used to say, the display is all minus the top bars of the digits. Thomas Tomosy suggests working the AE button to de-oxidise the switch: I've done this, even holding its shaft in angled tweezers and rotating as well as pushing (shades of the old RAF song 'I put my finger in the Woodpecker's hole...'!)- 'Nowt doin'.' What now? Bung it on eBay as a 'Spares or Repair job?.
FJRO

Francis_otto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... still no ideas, anyone..? Anyone...? (anyone out there...? ..at all...?)
FJRO

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 241

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Without examining the patient, a diagnosis is nigh impossible! Personally I would sell the thing, or if the cosmetics are really good - transfer all the bits onto a scruffy but working body - thus getting a tidy looking user.

Francis_otto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Glenn: going back to the Manual, I see that this happens if you set the camera for a stop-down mode shot, fail to press the button, and return the stop-down slide. The remedy, when the eeee ee message appears, it to slide the multi-exposure lever all the way to the left... Not only does this not clear the error-message, but there appears to be no difference between the single-exposure and multi-exposure settings: the film-sprockets are still firmly engaged!

Loosecanon
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't want the film sproket to move when doing a double exposure, you just want to cock the shutter. I have an A-1 with exactly the same CPU problem so, I use it as a paperweight.

Francis_otto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Loosecanon: but for multi-exposure, you'll want the sprocket to 'free-wheel', won't you? On mine, wherever the me-lever is, the sprocket turns as you cock the shutter.
I'm now wading through 257 pages of downloaded Repair-manual...
FJRO

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 246

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Francis,

You have not indicated how your A1 is exactly malfunctioning. Your last post would seem to indicate that the shutter is not jammed - ie you can fire and recock the shutter at will. Obviously it seems that the multi exposure/sprocket release mechanism is faulty/broken.

If you have the proper repair manual, you should find a trouble shooting section - both for electronic and MECHANICAL malfunctions. Try and narrow down the fault by using the trouble shooting charts.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 134

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

question: Is the mirror down and viewfinder clear? also with a fresh battery and clean contacts it should work. If not tension shutter if it moves hold shutter release button down while turning top dial( shutter and program dial). There is one problem I came across and that is oxidized switch contacts on the shutter. The one I saw I carefully moved the curtain with my finter tip. It then released. There is one thing you can do to check electronics and that is to measure the battery voltage while moving all the dials and release. Does the voltage drop below 6 volts? I also had some new defective batteries. Let me know if this helps. Don

Francis_otto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Glenn,
It seems to be working fine in 'M'mode - but for those missing top segments in the LCD-display; with the lens set to 'A' mode, once the shutter is cocked, is when it refuses to do anything: I'll look up the repair/service manual (reprints, I think, from 'Camera Craftsman?).
Don, the shutter is down, viewfinder clear: I'll try checking the voltage.
Many thanks to all: what an amazing place this is!
FJRO

Francis_otto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... I should have said, 'the mirror is down'. I've now bought and downloaded the correct manual:it looks as if the setting of the multi-exposure lever is wrong, possibly the whole ME mechanism damaged; I think this means too extensive a dismantling operation for me to attempt a cure.
FJRO

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 250

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you feel that you can remove the top cover, then go ahead and remove all the required bits. You will then be able to check the working of the multiple exposure lever and mechanism that is just under the wind-on lever. I have never come across a damaged ME mechanism, but have seen badly reassembled A1s which had jammed ME levers.

As you surmise, the servicing of the wind-on and ME mechanism does require a 'deep' stripdown.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration