Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Value of a Gossen Lunasix 3? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Value of a Gossen Lunasix 3? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how much would a minty Gossen Lunasix 3 with box, case and instructions get me? any guesses? maybe this is a pointless question since i din't want to sell it... but it's out of batteries anyhoo...

cheers!
dragunov

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 224

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By your battery comment, I assume your meter uses the old 1.35V mercury cells. If this is the case, Gossen sells an adapter to enable the meter to use a couple of SR44 1.5V cells. Price of the adapter in UK is £20 complete with cells.

As for the value of your meter, most UK dealers sell these for £30/£45. On eBay you may pick one up for £15.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

eh? well, that's neat, more info on that? link?

so the general rule of 'if it's mint it'll sell for more' doesn't apply here?

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 226

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Contact Gossen's Canadian distributor - whoever they are - for price and availability. Alternatively you could contact Gossen direct, via their German site - www.gossen-photo.de They are always willing to help users of their older equipment.

Problem is these meters are not exactly rare, there are also plenty of good one around. I suggest you look at the price your local dealers are selling these for and base your price on that. Obviously a collector may be willing to pay a premium for a nice boxed example. For the person who wants a tidy looking 'user', it should be noted that Gossen will provide free of charge, a number of external parts ie the alloy data plates. This allows you to restore the cosmetics of a worn looking, but otherwise good meter.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

augh. they mention the adapter in their FAQ but nowhere else... grr. perhaps i will email them... but $40 seems pricey.

thanks!

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bought mine new about 40 years ago. Several years ago I sent it to the factory for CLA and conversion to SR 44 batteries. I considered it money well spent on a meter that will be part of my estate for someone else to sell.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also... i chucked those 1.5v lookalikes into the lightmeter for kicks... if you adjust it, you can bring the needle into the correct range. will this actually work? it seems too easy. it seemed to work with my F-1, i just changed the ASA 1 stop lower...

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 233

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you found out with your F-1, you can compensate via the ASA and you can do this with your Gossen. I do not like doing this, it is very easy to forget to apply the correct compensation - especially if you use a range of films.

The alternative is to recalibrate the meter for 1.5v cells.

It may be of interest to note that a while back the Gossen adapters were listed on the US Amazon site. I tried to purchase a couple, but was informed that they could not supply these into Europe. This may have been a distribution or a price thing - seem to recall the price was around US$22 each, ie quite a bit cheaper than the UK price, hence my wish to purchase from the US site!

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, not really...

the Lunasix 3 has a 'screw' like device on the bottom that permits the user to 'calibrate'(?) the device incase... something. well, you get the point. i just slapped in 2 1.5 volt lookalikes and fiddled around with that until it was in the 'ok' zone during the battery check. will this actually work? it's too easy.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 236

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No; the 'screw' on the back of the meter is to set needle Zero position, with NO batteries in the meter. The only way to use meter with 1.5v cells, is to compare readings of a static/standard light source, with another accurate meter, and then 'adjust the ASA setting, until the Gossen gives the same value on the scales. This will then give you a 'correction' value.

As I stated previously, the only other way, without purchasing the adapter, is to recalibrate via the pots inside.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha... too easy. thanks! makes sense.

Techmans
Tinkerer
Username: Techmans

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a lithium cell that has the same dimension as 2 mercury cells combined. Of course this has 3V.
I found it to work splendidly.

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration