Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fungi on lens, How do I clean it? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Fungi on lens, How do I clean it? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rj213la
Tinkerer
Username: Rj213la

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any chemical, tools, etc that I can use to clean a lens that has fungi?

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may sound strange but try "Ponds" hand cream,I have try a number of hand creams and most of them work well.But with any fungus if it is light you can clean it, if is etched into the surface of the lens, then that is the end of that.
You may need a Lens Spanner, and a rubber pad to get into most lenses.

Jpartsch
Tinkerer
Username: Jpartsch

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had very good luck with dish soap and warm water. Just make sure that if you are working on a lens group that no soap/water will get in between the elements.

I ususlly put a couple of tiny pieces of duct tape over the tips of my spanner to reduce the possibility of scratching something if I should slip when trying to remove a tight ring.

Very light fungus can usually be cleaned. Fungus tends to etch lenses pretty quickly, so I would just toss the lens if it looks like the fungus is pretty extensive.

~Jon

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 92

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If soap shifts it, then it wasn't fungus! Use ordinary vinegar. It is cheap, quick, easy, and always works.

Whatever you apply it with, use an absolute minimum of pressure. It is very easy to scratch a lens.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 82

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the fungus is NOT etched into the glass - then it can be removed with Eucalyptus Oil or Citrus Oil. You my have to apply a little pressure using a cotton-bud. Clean up afterwards with petroleum spirit and the finally clean normally with Windex or a proprietary lens-cleaner fluid.

Commando303
Tinkerer
Username: Commando303

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isopropanol (91%)?

Anyone know of any hardware stores that sell lens spanners?

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't tried it, but denatured alcohol should do the job. It will kill the fungus, and leave no residue of its own. I've seen straight methyl alcohol recommended, too.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 126

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spanner wrenches are usually for sale on Ebay in the photo section.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 139

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some times oil haze can look like fungus, I have purchased lenses for a low price because of this only having to clean the glass. There has to be a judgement call, Is the lense pricey and worth a try or not. Old Leica Summarons get a haze that degrades the price and it only needs cleaning. One thing to be very careful of, the inner coatings of some lenses are softer and can be damaged easily. Good luck...Don

Tower7861
Tinkerer
Username: Tower7861

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

\\\\\\\if you are looking for camera tools,i suggest Ed Romney.com .He got what you want,spanner wrenches ,check out is catalog

Nitor
Tinkerer
Username: Nitor

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used Fiftyfifty's tip to use hand cream to clean light fungus from lens elements and it does work. I have only ever used it on uncoated optics. Incidently I have seen this suggestion in the repair manual of one of the major lens manufacturer's. (sorry guys cannot recall which one) Even more off the wall cigarette ash can be used as a mild polish on optics.
Have to go now to my Ebay site I am marketing a high tec lens polish at £10 a gram !

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nitor
Happy that you tried it and it works,I have been using Hand Cream to clean lenses for a number of years.

Howtovdos
Tinkerer
Username: Howtovdos

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How a look at this step by step video guide to clean camera lens - How To Clean a Camera Lens

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 292

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Imbecillically cute, really. I guess any fungi will dash off for fear of being video-digitized, won't they?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 309

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did they bother to 'publish' this! It does not even show the correct way of using lens tissues.

For the uninitiated:- The correct way to use lens tissue is to first roll a sheet into a tight cylinder. Now tear the roll into two pieces. The tearing action produces two areas of soft, brush like fibres, which are used to apply any cleaner and wipe the lens surface clean. In the 1950s, bulk supplies of 'Whatman' lens tissues contained instructions outlining the above method of use.

Using tissue as shown in the above video, will produce fine scratches on any lens coating. In fact the modern 'microfibre' lens cloth is a far better product for any optical cleaning.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration