Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

DIY repair hell Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » DIY repair hell « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so i'm clumsy. so what? but apparently i was stupid enough to misplace the battery compartment cover of an old flash unit. what now? i couldn't find it in my room, but it would have taken me about 20 years or so to actually do a thurough search, so i grabbed a chunk of oak, cut it to size, 'sharpened' it, and put in strips of adhesive copper for the contacts (from the basement- where animals roam and lots and lots of old crap that nobody seems to care about lives. apparently it had something to do with stain glass.) and guess what? it works. but it looks like a 15 year old put it together with only a saw and a Dremel tool. oh wait...

and it DID take alot of dremel tooling. but it's worth it... sorta. now i suspect the flash is busted, sometimes it fires weaker or stronger...

oh well...

Dragunov

Richard123vmt
Tinkerer
Username: Richard123vmt

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it looks like it was done with a dremel tool that's GOOD! I have fabricated battery covers using nothing but a utility knife and sandpaper. You might consider that plastic is nearly as easy to work as wood and will end up looking more like factory. Could be your contacts are not making reliable contact. I am resisting the tmptation to ask: Ever hear of cleaning up your room?

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it looks like amateurish crap :-) actually, more like just crap. but if it works...
and it does... barely.

if i had thought of plastic, i might have even used it, but come to think of it, i don't know where i'd get it.

what is this 'clean'? and my room is more organised the way it is now, i know where everything is: on the floor.

would have posted pics, can't figure out how to resize...

Richard123vmt
Tinkerer
Username: Richard123vmt

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, yes, a noble attitude. But if you ever do clean up--and you know you lost the cover in that room--pack refuse for disposal but don't actually throw anything out until the errant battery cover exposes its position. That way you know you still have it somewhere. But if you throw out so much as a Chinese food container, there is no proof the cover was not somehow lodged where you least expect it.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 97

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dragunov, if you find the battery cover to my Vivitar 2500, let me know. It's not here (I looked!), so maybe it's there. :-)

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, my room isn't that messy, no food (okay, maybe some chocolate) and no clothes spread all over. and i did a fair bit of searching, and i'm amazed that i was at one point in time actually stupid enough to keep the flash and battery cover separated. gah.

and i wouldn't be too surprised if i found your battery cover up in my room, stuff disappears from there and therefore there must be a portal somewhere. but then again, i dunno what the Vivitar 2500 looks like, let alone the battery cover...

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"i dunno what the Vivitar 2500 looks like, let alone the battery cover..."

The cover is little and black, with corroded contacts. You'll know it when you see it. Just pop it back into the portal when it shows up. :-)

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's the problem, i'm not sure where the portal is... maybe buried under a pile of useless junk (it could be anywhere!) :-)

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think your battery cover showed up at my house. The portal is open...
Black plastic, square, contacts for 4 AA batteries (Not corroded, sorry M currie).
It arrived clutched in the legs of a LARGE dead cockroach, gripped in the jaws of a dead mouse, held in the teeth of a dead rat, carried by the neck by a dead cat, which was between the teeth if a live dog (now dead... that was MY damned cat!). Anyway, the mouse had chocolate residue on it's paws, so I assume it was in your room sometime. As soon as I find the portal, I'll throw the whole gang in. Minus the cat.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 502

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

why, you have other plans for the cat?

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why Not? Would the cat not have 8 lives left

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration