Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Topcon super d mirror stays up on sl... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Topcon super d mirror stays up on slow speeds 1-8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer
Username: Shutterbug2

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i bought super d just before christmas. it was blocked in everyway. selftimer would,nt hold and be released by timer button it would just run down to 10 0clock position and stop. shutter release button would,nt fire shutter even though lever had been cocked. preview lever would,nt move. after taking self timer off front and spareingly oil all moving shaft ends and getting lever above pin on shutter bar. i finally got things un frozen it fires like it,s suppose too now. i had too bend up tab on shutter bar to get the fire button to fire the shutter. i,ve got alot of work to properly service the super d but i,m happy with progress i,ve made so far with limited experience i have. now mirror does,nt come back down on 1 thru 8 shutter speeds after shutter fires. it does though when you cock lever again. shutter curtains open and close properly the mirror just does,nt come back down . it does work properly on B and 15 and up shutter speeds. to un freeze the shutter after i,d worked on self timer i had applied little pressure to raise mirror that un blocked everything. not recommended procedure but things were seized up from sitting with shutter tensined for who knows how long. i noticed when i,d taken front plate off the spring that goes between diaphram and t lever is stretched in one spot about 3/4 of way down on t lever end. i applied little light synthetic clock oil to make sure things moved smoothly. could this spring be not creating enough counter pressure on t lever to keep mirror from returning properly on these slower speeds. i,ve learned alot just from reading posts on similar problems on entirely different types of cameras. but the mechanics are very similar in the way they work. James

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Super D service manual is readily available, and has a lot of text. The one for the late production ones (type 71A, serial number starting 71) can be found free on this very site. Good diagnostic text. If your serial number starts 46, you have the type 46A, whose mirror mechanism is somewhat different.

The T bar is apparently a tricky bit of engineering.

There is also a good discussion of the mirror control mechanism by Leon Schoenfeld. He doesn't have it online anymore, but it's available through the Internet Archives "WayBack Machine":

http://web.archive.org/web/20050213044036/home.att.net/~topcontechnotes/mirrorco ntrol/index.html

Some illustrations may be missing. I can provide them, I have a saved copy.

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just looked super d serial # starts with 46 thanks for info. someone else before me attempted to work on camera. think they,d gotten as far as taking top off besides selftimer and front plate. meter inside eyepiece lists to left and is not level .film cocking lever worked loose so it,s definitley been tooken apart. i was just afraid that someone might have made mess that could,nt have been undone. james

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, taking off the right side cover of a Super D without putting the special screw into the shutter speed dial is a good way to kink or break the pointer on the light meter. You need to keep that pulley under control.

The 46A is quite similar to the 71A, although the largest change is in how the mirror works, and the wind gears.

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

after i,d let camera set for few days.from my first post. the 1-8 shutter speeds kick mirror back down like it,s suppose too. it might have been from me creating to much drag on something by oiling something that should,nt have been. right now it,s on my back burner a waiting a lens. James

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration