Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to loosen stuck screws? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » How to loosen stuck screws? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hikaristarshine
Tinkerer
Username: Hikaristarshine

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to restore an old Kodak box camera (a Brownie Hawkeye... yes, I know, not exactly spectacular, but it was my grandfather's), and have run into a slight snag. Two of the screws on the metal plate holding the lenses onto the front half of the camera are totally stuck, to the point that when trying to remove them, I'm afraid to put any more torque on for risk of damaging my screwdriver.

So, the question. I'd prefer not to damage anything on the camera if I can help it, whether that's the bakelite, the lenses, etc... so what kind of lubricant can I use to try and loosen these screws? Is something like WD-40 a good idea, or am I going to be better-served with something else?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 135

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The four phillips screws should move with a small bit of penetrating oil. Make sure you have a top grade screwdriver, If not you may mess up the slots and most of the softer metal drivers that you find in stores. You can find these better ones on web sites like this one or Romneys', they cost a bit more but I tried some in those plastic $4 buck racks , forget them. Don

Hikaristarshine
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'penetrating oil'... is that the same extra-thin watch oil that I'm supposed to use to lubricate the shutter and such?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 136

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the shutter should be dry and clean , you might use a small pinpoint of fine watch oil or some times on the simpler shutters teflon triflo. On the pivots. don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 464

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back to your question though: I think penetrating oil is more specialized for seeping into tight spaces to loosen screws etc. One to look for is Liquid Wrench, although technically I don't think that is an oil.

Hikaristarshine
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... Where would I be most likely to find Liquid Wrench? Is that the sort of thing that I'd find at an auto supply store, or a gun store, or...?

*really really wants to get this camera opened to clean it up and all... shutter actually works fine, but the whole thing needs a good cleaning, especially the lenses*

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 465

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might also refer to the other post on the same subject. It may well be impossible for a liquid penetrant to reach the threads, or the screws may be secured with LocTite or a similar thread locker.

Particularly in the latter case, heat applied to the screw head with a soldering iron tip will soften the thread locker so that you can (while it's still hot) break the screw free.

Liquid Wrench should be available at a hardware or auto parts store.

Hikaristarshine
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK... so it looks like I need to use some heat on one of them. I got one of the two offending screws off, but the other is being quite ornery, and the Liquid Wrench isn't working the way it did on the other. After having gotten the other screw *out*, it appears that the difficulty is that there's about an inch of screw before the threads even show up. Just a plain soldering iron should do the trick, you say?

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to try some flash shots with a Bolsey B2. The B2 had a dedicated bulb flash attachment that mounted to the camera and made the electrical connection. I want to use an electronic flash. Reportedly there was a Bolsey flash adapter that screwed into the shutter, allowing the use of other flash units. Anyone know how that worked, as those adapters are probably pretty hard to find.? Thanks,
Larry

Lgdavis
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry. I as trying to start a new discussion and put my question here by mistake.

Lgdavis
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will post a message here to the stuck screew question. I have had better luck with a very stuck cross-point or phillips screw by using a flat screwdriver that fits down into the phillips/cross-point recess. You may have to get a new screw, but this has worked for me on several occassions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration