Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pen Lens Adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pen Lens Adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Pen 38mm, f1.8 lens that is focusing past infinity. The focus seems shifted across the entire range, so that the focus scale always shows less than the actual distance.

It appears that the focus ring has just slipped out of position on the helicoid. Is this adjustable? The focus ring seems tight and moves smoothly, so I don't know how it would have slipped.

There are three very, very, very small screws set at about 120 degrees going thru the focus ring. They appear to be set screws. I'm a bit reluctant to mess with them without knowing for certain what they do. I did take the front and back elements out for cleaning, but the lens reassembled without any problems. So I am doubting this caused the problem.

Has anyone had experience adjusting the focus on this (or any SLR) lens? I've never seen a focus ring slip without it being really loose.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 472

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My notes on the 38/1.8 only deal with cleaning the diaphragm and don't show the focus ring. However, it is common for the ring to be attached with screws or set screws that could slip and cause exactly what you're seeing. I don't know if the set screws you're looking at are the ones that would have caused it in this lens.

Thuggins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Rick, thanks for the response. Can you direct me to the notes you mention? You never know when you might run across one of those "Ah-ha" moments!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 473

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they're not online; if you email me at [email protected] i'll send you what i have.

Thuggins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The three set screws in the focus ring were the fix for the problem. These lock the focus ring to the helicoid. At some point these must have loosened, and whoever tightened them got the focus ring off position. These just needed to be loosened a bit, the focus ring positioned correctly, and the set screws retightened.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration