Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter reconstruction Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Shutter reconstruction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 230

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help! I have got a collection of bits and pieces off the bay, among them several incomplete or dismantled shutters. At the moment I am working on a Copal SVA, all the parts are there and it is basically ok. There are five blades and five shims, but as it came in parts I do not know whether the shims go under (i.e. towards the housing of the aperture blades) or on top (towards the shutter mechanism). I think it makes more sense to put them under the blades to provide smooth operation, but you never know ...
Any help is appreciated, W.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 140

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You call them shims, Do they look like washers? If it is the very thin washers put them under the blades towards the back of the housing. The self timer was always a problem with the copal, I always gave that a complete cla or I would remove it in my cameras. Don

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 231

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A better word would be spacers, maybe, they have two holes and look exactly like the blades where they are installed/ hooked on to the shutter.
Selftimer is shimmed, runs perfectly, escapement is fine.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 142

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spacers is the word./ Is this shutter for a view camera? Just curious. Good luck on the reassembly Don

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 232

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This particular shutter (probably from a Konica or perhaps a Yashica RF camera) is not meant to be used in a camera and in fact there is no camera to which it belongs, it is just an object which I would like to get going again: skill, I think, comes with practice. The background to this is, there are some gems waiting to be repaired, and I do not want to screw them up for a lack of practice, W.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 483

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I encountered this arrangement in a Koni-Omega shutter. In that one, there were 5 blades; On 4 of the blades, the shims were underneath the blade (as assembled on the chassis) but the last blade (on top of the others) had the shim on top.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 484

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(in that shutter construction, the blades are assembled on the rear face of the chassis bulkhead, so "top" in that case was the side closest to the film)

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 233

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Meanwhile I have tried out several ways of mounting the shims/spacers and blades. With all the spacers underneath the blades the shutter failed one in ten times. It works perfectly when assembled the way Rick describes, this setup can also be seen on Daniel Mitchell's excellent repair site (last picture, shutter is almost identical to the one I have on my desk): http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/copalmxv/copalmxv.html
One becomes better and faster over time when doing the same kind of work several times in succession. I used easily removable transparent cling film to prevent the blades from falling through the shutter's center hole, then used the same material to provisionally tack the set of blades as a whole in its correct mounting position until the shutter is together again. Before installing the assembly the film covering the hole must be taken off again, of course, but that is easy now, as the blades stick together and do not tumble and fall apart. Finally, after screwing the two halves together, the tape on the blades can be removed, it leaves no residue on the surfaces, but one has to work slowly and carefully not to warp the blades. This way of mounting the blades is far more effective than my "cork-in-the-hole" method which in comparison was a shaky business.
Thank you Don and Rick for your help and encouragement, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration