Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 - wrong auto aperture Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon A-1 - wrong auto aperture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Manos
Tinkerer
Username: Manos

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently dug-up my old a1 which was idle for almost 5 years. I sent it for a routine service - the only obvious thing they did was changing the foam sealing and cleaning the focusing screen. Getting it back it was obvious that in AE mode the camera was underexposing with all lenses. After some tests (the usual shoot in auto then turn to manual and stop down), I realized that the auto aperture was set average 1 fstop smaller although there is no particular pattern in the error. In very wide aperture (eg. f1.4 with the 50mm lens) it is spot on. From there and up to f4 it closes half an fstop more than required with all lenses. from f4 to f8 it closes 1 fstop more than required and sometimes even more especially with the 135mm lens. Finally above f8 it closes down 1 and a half fstop more than required. Any ideas about the cause and how to fix it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 252

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you say the camera has just been serviced - Send it back and tell the firm to do the job properly! Sorting out this type of fault can be complicated, and I am guessing - as you sent the camera away for a routine service - that you may not have stripped an A1 down before. The A1 is not the ideal subject for one's first major repair, especially the AE functions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration