Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hi-Matic G shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Hi-Matic G shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Crutch
Tinkerer
Username: Crutch

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a Hi-Matic G from an Ebay seller today and the shutter appears to be malfunctioning. It appears the shutter is also the aperture or vice versa, does that make sense??? The size of the aperture opening varies with the different settings, but it does not open to a circle. It appears more like a lopsided triangle. I think the shutter blades must be binding. I have started to dismantle the lens from the front to get to the shutter blades. I am in a holding pattern until I get some feedback, and also it appears I may have to unsolder the wires going to the meter at the top of the lens. I have taken it apart to the point where it looks as though I need to peel back the leather on the front. I looked at things through the film compartment but don't see any screws that might access the shutter from that direction. Thanks for any help you can give. -carl
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 234

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other than what you call "binding" of the blades everything you describe seems ok. Yes, you are right, there are only two of them altogether for aperture and shutter, as they are identical in this sort of camera. With two blades you cannot expect to get a round opening, this is technically impossible. I have no experience with the Min Hi-M G, but with other cameras of that vintage (cf. my input on the GAF Memo 35EE in this section of the forum), W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration