Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Confused about flange focal distance Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Confused about flange focal distance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ahmetceylan
Tinkerer
Username: Ahmetceylan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I have a Minolta MC ROKKOR-X PF 50mm 1:1.7 lens. I am a university student and I am trying to do an experiment with this lens. As far as I know the flange focal distance for mc/md lenses is 43.50mm. All I know about flange focal distance is, it is the distance from the metal ring(flange) to the film plane. But the metal ring itself is larger than 5mm. Can you please tell me where exactly I should measure this 43.5mm? A diagram would be really useful. I searched through the internet but no luck. This is also a very confusing question on the other internet forums. If you give me the answer I will forward the answer to the forums.
Thank you.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 236

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo, not so very long ago I was confronted with the same problem, so have a look at this, maybe it is of help (as in my case): https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/10043.html
W.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 237

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry, forgot to put in the second link, here it is:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/10416.html?1192195094 ,W.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 253

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flange focal distance is measured from the outer surface of the camera body flange/mount - ie the surface, that the rear surface of the mount on the lens abuts - to the film plane. The thickness of the flange or mount does not come into the equation, well not for what you are trying to do. On rare occasions, manufactures have produced flanges of different thicknesses to allow focus calibration. On professional quality cameras; the basic body shell is assembled before the registers - for the mount flange, film and pressure plate rails - are machined. Hence there is no need for a range of flange thicknesses.

Your post, seems to imply that you are just using the lens in the experiment. If this is so, the distance will be measured from the rear surface of the mount on the actual lens - ie, the surface that will bear against the front face of the mount on the camera body.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration