Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor-SV shutter seems to be stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Prontor-SV shutter seems to be stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brownbr
Tinkerer
Username: Brownbr

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I previously posted on this problem in the following thread: Zeiss Ikon Contina I - stuck shutter

It was suggested that I make a new thread specific to the shutter itself, since more people may have suggestions.

I was given this camera for Christmas from my mother-in-law (her father purchased it new in 1957). It hasn't been used in years, but has been carefully stored. The shutter charging lever does not lock into place at all, and hence the shutter will not fire.

I have tried cycling the film advance sprockets through and entire film cycle, but this does not seem to solve the problem.

I'd really like to get it working if it's possible, but this being my first antique camera, I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions you can give would be most appreciated.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 128

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never cleaned one myself but the following website may be helpful. Also have you used the search at the top of this page?http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/prontor/prontor.html

Brownbr
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used the search. I have found several threads on the Prontor-SVS shutter, which I guess is similar. The other problem I'm having though is that I'm not entirely clear about how to remove the shutter from the camera. It's not obvious.

I was also hoping that someone might have some suggestions on things to try before tearing the thing apart.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 122

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as a pointer for anyone offering to help Brownbr, I have made some suggestions. However my Contina would cock, it was just full of migrated oil. So I'm not familiar with his particular fault.

My worry here is that there may be a fault in the linkage between the frame spacing mechanism and the shutter, because winding the sprockets doesn't have any effect. I'd rather not tell him (?) to strip his shutter if it needs attention elsewhere instead!

Adrian

Brownbr
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No suggestions? :-)

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 123

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like just you and me, mate!
(actually, there's something that looks a possible cause on that website - the bent lever... As far as I know, all the Prontors were pretty similar so instructions for one should be good for all)

I'd get yourself some decent tools first. I think I used an ordinary pair of long-nosed pliers (if I needed pliers at all). You also want the best set of jewellers screwdrivers you can find - some of those screws will be astonishingly tight for something so small. A lens wrench will be needed if you need to take the shutter right off - you can pick them up on ebay, from microtools, or you can make one - see my link in the original thread. Of course you'll need TWO sets of screwdrivers for that... You'll also want a can of naptha/Ronsonol (no idea what local brand names might be - sorry!). And you'll need something that you can apply small droplets of naptha with - using the squirter on the can means it goes everywhere.

The other thing you want is a clear working space with lots of light, and preferably a light-coloured surface so you can see what you've just dropped...

To get to where the website shows, you will need to look at the front element of the lens. Around it you should find three tiny screws, in holes sunk into the outside of the rim. Don't unscrew them completely - just unscrew each one a little at a time until the lens will unscrew completely. You should find yourself exactly where Daniel's website shows... so you can follow his instructions.

To remove the shutter from the front of the camera: this is where you need the wrench. If you look through the film gate you will see two rings around the rear element of the lens. The outer one has four notches cut in it - you need to unscrew this one first to take the shutter off, I think. Make sure the wrench is a tight fit - it will probably take a surprising amount of BFI to start it moving. The second, inner, ring has a groove across each side. Same caveats apply - especially as you are working right next to your lens, and the last thing you want to do is to drag the end of the wrench across your glass! I cannot remember now which order I removed the shutter and the lens elements in - I suspect it was shutter first, though.

Take your time. Don't panic (unless you lose a piece in the carpet, when this will be your best option). I did mine in an evening, with lots of trial and error, on an old desk... And GOOD LUCK! Remember - at worse, you have a camera that still doesn't work, but makes a cute paperweight.

One last thing - when you get it all back together, you will need to re-set the focus. Don't screw the front lens element back on without working out how to do this!

Adrian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration