Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica BC1-foreign body in prism ho... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Praktica BC1-foreign body in prism housing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alfalincs
Tinkerer
Username: Alfalincs

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Pracktica BC1 SLR is in perfect order, I've had it twenty years and really like it BUT..there is a very annoying foreign body stuck inside the viewfinder that really bugs me.

Can anyone tell me how to dismantle the prism, or direct me to a manual so I can get the darn thing out..and preferably not destroy my camera in the process, as it has sentimental value, if no cash value.

any advice gratefully received.

AlfaLincs

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had the top off a BMS in the past but off-hand couldn't give you step by step instructions on how it came off (it wasn't difficult though), I did however find the following info here http://www.praktica-b.org/index.html

"First off, open the back and hold the rewind rod still and unscrew the rewind knob. Now pull the rewind rod down into the camera and remove.

Under the rewind knob is a slotted plate, this needs to be unscrewed, you could make up a special tool for this, but I used a fine screwdriver and little tack hammer to gently knock it loose. Unscrew the plate and it will come off with a large spring beneath. Now the ASA ring assembly can be removed.

Now on to the rewind lever, Turn the camera over and you will see a screw on the underside of the rewind lever, remove it and the plastic cover will come off. Holding the rewind lever down is a nut, unscrew this and remove the shakeproof washer and lever.

Under the lever you will see another slotted ring, again you can either fashion a tool to suit or gently tap it loose with a small screwdriver and small hammer.

Now the hotshoe should be removed, to do this you first need to remove its cover plate and shim. The cover plate is hooked into a recess nearest the front of the camera, simply lift this front edge with a tiny screwdriver and slide the plate and shim back. Under the plate you will find four screws, remove them (note, two are shorter, make sure you note where the short ones go) The hotshoe should now lift off.

On the subject of the shutter speed knob. This SHOULDN'T need to be touched. I removed the top cover and undid the two screws beneath, this was a mistake. These screws hold the knobs brass bearing plate in the right place. This meant it was a sod to get it all in alignment when I re-assembled it.

In theory the shutter speed knob should come off with the lid and its little operating peg should pull straight out of the plastic cam beneath.

But I digress.. The cover itself can now be unscrewed. The cover has two screws on the back, one either side of the prism boss, one under the ASA knob. The cover should now lift off exposing all the electronics."

This will give you access to the prism. Maybe a burst of air will then be enough to shift the offending object you see in the viewfinder.

Alfalincs
Tinkerer
Username: Alfalincs

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou for that,its very helpful. I shall set by an evening and take it slowly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration