Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M shutter release problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta XG-M shutter release problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leroy_p
Tinkerer
Username: Leroy_p

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had my XG-M for a couple of years now. It's worked fine until just recently. I can't, for the life of me, get the shutter release button to fire. I assure you, the camera's on. The battery should be fine because the light meter works as usual, but with the film advanced to a ready frame the button wont fire the shutter. It feels like I'm trying to shoot without advancing. I've changed all settings and even used my remote release and it still wont fire. However, I've found that everything I can get a shot taken only if I use the timer release, so atleast I know the shutter's working properly.
Has anyone had this sort of problem before? if so, I could really use the help. I don't want to just take it to a shop without trying every other angle first, but I'm running out of options short of exploratory surgery.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Techmans
Tinkerer
Username: Techmans

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a 6.3 V ,220 uF capacitor in the bottom of the camera that fires the shutter release.This capacitor is probably the culprit and most likely shot. It is a common problem with Minoltas of the period.

It's difficult to get a new one at the regular electronics supply because of their oddity. They are however in common use in today's DVD players. Get a junk DVD player and salvage one of those. Other sources are wireless phones and the like.
Be careful in the application of soldering heat to reattach leads to those salvaged items; a 15 W iron is good but a soldering gun is definitely not.

Someone is offering to send you a whole lot of those capacitors on EBAy but you need only one of them. The 220 figure is critical by the way; the 6.3 volts is not. You can get buy with a 4.5 V but better still is 10V if you can find it and have room for it!!!.
If you have room, 2 Caps in parallel of 100 uF will do fine.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration