Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa RF and meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa RF and meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bomobob
Tinkerer
Username: Bomobob

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I picked up one of these babies at a thrift shop today, and it has a couple of issues, neither of which would stop me from using the camera, but I'd like to try and fix them.

First, there is no RF image in viewfinder, which turned out to be a case the RF mirror being absent. Well, there was an odd shaped piece of mirror lying inside when I took the top off, but I'm not sure where it is supposed to go.

I can see that the part marked with the X is the arm that's driven by the focus, but it isn't clear to me how the mirror is supposed to be seated.
The other part of this mystery is the piece of "mirror" that I found inside, which you can see here for scale sitting on top of the meter.

Looks a bit homemade to me!

The second problem is the meter. The cell may be dead, which is very likely, but it also may be a wiring or component problem. So there's a 10K resistor and...the black thing which puzzles me (has a resistance of 3.4K).

The black thingy seems to be soldered to the cell, then the 10K in series, which is in turn connected to the meter by the blue wire. Am I to assume the other terminal on the cell (there IS another terminal, right?) is grounded somewhere?

Well, if anyone can help out, I would be very grateful.
Thanks.

Bomobob
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, as I dig deeper inside, it's starting to make a bit more sense. That rectangular piece of mirror is supposed to be mounted below the meter, coupling it over to the VF. The piece itself is useless, but think I have some thin first or second surface mirror sheet in my kaleidescope-making supplies. I suppose since the cell is dead anyway, it's all a bit moot, but it's fun anyway.
So it looks as if whatever RF prism/mirror is supposed to be in this camera is gone.

Bomobob
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I just can't stand the torture of not knowing...in the first photo I posted, it it a full-on prism that's missing, or is it just a small mirror? I'm guessing it's a prism since it has to couple the meter image over to the viewfinder.
Is that true, or am I missing something?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bomobob, I think that your Vitomatic is indeed missing a vital part of its rangefinder mechanism, a common problem owing to the way they're put together.

I just opened up my Vitomatic II (not an A, but pretty similar) to recheck it, and on mine, beneath the bracket that has the "x" on it in your first shot, there should be a white painted piece of glass, incorporating a prism. This piece is glued to the side of the large viewfinder block, and the part marked with the X, although it differs in appearance from mine, should move a lens near the front, which redirects the image through the prism that is missing. I see no separate mirror.

Sorry my little old digicam is inadequate to provide a better image, but you'll see the basic idea here. In any case, the loose mirror appears to have been someone's amateur effort to replace the prism.

Unfortunately, these things come unglued rather easily if dropped, and there seems to be no practical way for an amateur to reassemble the unit. I have another Voigtlander RF with this problem, and because the relative position of the side prism to the viewfinder is very critical, it cannot be adjusted without gluing it back together (it just loses its adjustment with the first use), and I lack the know-how for that.

As far as the meter is concerned, I don't know what to suggest. My VII does not have that resistor, or at least not in the same place, and the meter works. I'm not going any deeper there, for fear of breaking the spell!vitomatic II

Bomobob
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it's such a beautiful camera, that I don't mind estimating distances and using an exposure meter. Maybe someday another one will fall into my lap, or I'll find a cannibalized one and pull out the prism.

Thanks for your help. This forum is amazing.

Arnoldharris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Post Number: 28

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Maybe someday another one will fall into my lap, or I'll find a cannibalized one and pull out the prism."

I used to think the same thing, that I'll just buy one more Voigtlander Vitessa-T in order to cannibalize parts. Then I find I can't bear to destroy a camera just to pick its bones. No time at all, I have a major collection. All sitting there cutely and demanding my affection, attention, and --- yet more parts.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration