Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CLA materials Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » CLA materials « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a few questions...

light seals: where's the best place to get 'em?

and what brand of oil/graphite/grease is reccomended/where do i get it? it's common stuff, i hope...

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As regards to light seals the best must be by "interslice" Jon Goodman who sells them regulary adds his comments and advice on this site.
So go on E-Bay and search for "interslice"

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer
Username: Greyhoundman

Post Number: 43

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not use oil, grease or graphite on the shutter of a camera.

Interslice is the best seller of seals period.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seek the micro-tools site for materials - including lubricants. Use oil & grease as directed by the manufacturer. READ THE FACTORY REPAIR MANUALS FOR GUIDANCE ON LUBRICATION!

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 91

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had an interesting bout with Micro-Tools. I spent a half hour on the phone with an operator trying to order the correct light seal material. I didn't want the dence neoprin stuff, I needed the open cell type found in most import cameras.

Anyway I placed my order and was specific enough that I should have gotten the right stuff. Well the neoprin stuff arives. I shoot off an e-mail to Micro-Tools telling em I got the wrong stuff and Curt Fargo tells me this is what I ordered. I excplained it;'s not waht I wanted adn that I shouldn't have to eat the extra shipping costs sicne it was their mistake. He tells me there is nothing he can do about that adn if I want an exchange I have to ship it back at my expense.

Well after trying to resolve this I am finding it has escalated to the point where I'm calling VISA to stop payment. Now Mr Fargo is threatening that I will banned from buying anything from his site.

So if you want customer satisfation and customer service, go to Interslice for your light seals.

Also NYOil is nothing more that the same oil used by musicians called "valve oil" used for trumpets n brass instruments.

Grease is another matter. Depending on the use, it can be anything from SuperLube silicone to lithium grease. If you are using it inside a camera or lens, you want a low out gassing grease, preferably a non-petrolium distilate.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Normally I like to give an alternative opinion when there's a batch of similar advice being given, but here I have to go with the flow and recommend Jon Goodman's light seal kit. It's modestly priced, it's top quality, it arrives quickly (even from across the Atlantic), it's versatile, it's easy to work with, and there's friendly help if you need it.

There's a good reason why Mr Goodman is held in high regard in the classic camera repair community.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 92

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post a link to Mr Goodman or a phone contact number? I've had it with My Fargo and his crap. He's now getting personal, implicating things I don't care to share in public.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 255

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,

Click on the 'articles' box at top of page. The last item in the 'General' section is Jon's great article on light seals, you will find a link in the first paragraph.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks! well, what about grease/oil/graphite?...

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 93

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NYOil is nothing more that the same oil used by musicians called "valve oil" used for trumpets n brass instruments.

Grease is another matter. Depending on the use, it can be anything from SuperLube silicone to lithium grease. If you are using it inside a camera or lens, you want a low out gassing grease, preferably a non-petrolium distilate.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another thing: is there any glue i can likely get that will allow me to not only glue back those terrible leatherettes BUT (gasp!) allow me to peel them off again if i screwed up (and i will... just you wait.)

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 95

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3M double sided (thin) tape. It comes in 1" width, is very thin and very strong. It doesn't curl or peel or make a mess in hot weather. It can be peeled without making a mess of your leatherete like glues do. This tape is used on interior car trim so you can get it at auto supply houses.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

auto supply houses, eh...
thanks!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 131

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note of caution for people looking for Jon Goodman's site. If you are coming from ebay.co.uk, I've yet to find away of finding him by searching. However a google - again, from the UK site - has him as the first hit. Bizarre...

Adrian

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 263

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon's ebay listings are easily found on the UK site - Click on the community box and then type in his ID in the 'find member box'. After completing the security box, his link to items appears. Obviously you need to search by eBay member ID, not christian/surname

Nothing bizarre, just the normal eBay site functions.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 132

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

It works even better if you just tick the "name of shop" box instead of "item"...

*pink face*

Adrian

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 265

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian,

As usual, I went the more complicated route!

Glenn.

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all,
This is my first post on this site. I've been reading it with amazed enthusiasm for weeks. Now, I have a question. I just bought a Ricoh 519 rangefinder that appears to be in excellent condition except the focus doesn't move. It's frozen beyond the point of reasonable force. It wouldn't surprise me to learn there's some kind of lock, or other trick to making it move. I thought I'd start with this resourceful group. My experience with camera repair shops hasn't been too great. I'm very handy, so I'm determined to repair it myself. Any input is gratefully appreciated.
thank you,
Michael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration