Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica LTL3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Praktica LTL3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerryk
Tinkerer
Username: Jerryk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a beautiful black Praktica LTL3 that has a new 625 battery installed. When I press the meter activate button , the needle drops down and when I release the button the needle settles just below the O. Appears to have a dead short. Can anyone tell me if I might be able to repair this? I have another LTL3 that I use Pentax lenses on and am well pleased with the results. I would very much like to make this workable. I know I have the option of using a meter and still be able to shoot. Thanks for any help. Glad I found this site as I have several cameras and can use good advise. Thanks again!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 96

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since it uses the 625 cell I'm assuming the metering system is the same as the MTL3 and Super TL1000 which are the only ones I've met. I'd suspect the fault is more likely to be an open-circuit than a short.

Take off the bottom cover, and first check that the slider on the big potentiometer (variable resistance) at the right-hand (take-up) end is turning when you change the speed setting.

Next have a look at the printed-circuit in the middle. Are there any signs of corrosion from a previous leaking mercury cell? If so have a good look for any breaks in the tracks.

You should find 4 wires connected to the board at the left-hand end. The outer two should be the meter, and from your description, it sounds as though this works. If you want to check the photo-resistor, it will be the two (thinner) wires in the middle. Un-solder these, and check the resistance with a meter while pointing the camera towards and away from a light.

Even without corrosion it is not impossible for one of the 3 little pre-set potentiometers to go open-circuit. Check them with a meter if you can, but as a LAST resort, mark their positions as accurately as you can, and try turning them to-and-fro a few degrees.

The rest position of the meter, below centre, is normal, of course.

Best of luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration