Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat-124G lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica Mat-124G lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evisc
Tinkerer
Username: Evisc

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I'm trying to disassemble the taking lens on a Yashica Mat-124G TRL to check for fungus (hopefully it's just oil or grease).

Anyway, after removing the front cover I try unscrewing the front element of the taking lens (just as I did on my rollei), but it's stuck.

Here goes; does the taking lens unscrew, or is there some other way?

If it does unscrew, how would you go about loosening the lens?

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 57

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On a 12 I used to have I had better luck unscrewing the back lense element and cleaned from the back with the shutter on B. I used a hardwood dowel to unscrew the ring that holds the element.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 148

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used a rubberband on the outer lens housing to unscrew it, That usually worked, It then came off as a complete unit, and while it's open you might clean the apeature, The viewing lense is different, the whole front comes off by loosening a set screw and un screwing the lense, It then has to be set for correct focus if you do. This is a great way to make sure the film plane and the viewfinder agree. Don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 491

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It unscrews.

Try wearing a pair of rubber dish-washing gloves... they give you one heck of a grip, and they're less clumsy than trying to juggle a piece of rubber sheeting.

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advise! The lens remain stuck though... I'm afraid that if I try any harder it will break! I'll keep trying...

Any more ideas?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 498

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a little extreme, but I've had to do this on a number of Mamiya TLR lenses so I know it works: Get a small worm-gear type radiator hose clamp, big enough to fit the lens, and cut a piece of rubber sheet, about 1/16" thick, sized to wrap around the lens between it and the clamp to give a grip and prevent scratching. Tighten the clamp up well over the rubber so that it has a good grip.

Now, get a small hammer, and strike the protruding screw on the clamp in the direction that will start the lens turning counter clockwise. It's basically an impact wrench for a lens cell. You might want to mark the lens rim and the shutter with a felt pen first for reference ..... once you see any movement of the cell, it should be loose enough that you can remove the clamp or at least put down the hammer and unscrew it with your hands.

(....and, no, i've never broken a lens doing this...)

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 151

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Rick is on the right track but I might use a channel locking pliers carefully on the hose clamp. Also a slight amount of acetone near the point the lens meets the flange first might help. Don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 499

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the pliers can offer good leverage but be very careful not to clamp down with them.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 94

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The taking lens cells come off by unscrewing. You jhave to take off the front cover which reveals the shutter. I use a pair of large hemostats with tubing over the tangs to get a good non-maring purchase on the lens. The original lenses were tacking on with some varnish so maybe wicking a bit in the threads may loosen it up a bit. I've also used heat to loosen stuborn lenses by leaving em in the sun on a window sill for a few hours, then try unscrewing em.

To get the rear cell off, remove the entire shutter mount by taking out the 4 corner screws otherwise there isn't enough room inside the camera to get a hold of the rear cell. When taking the entire mounting plate off, just be aware there are shims under the screws, so carefully watch for them and be sure to place the same shims back where they came from when reinstalling or the edge focusing will be out.

The viewing lens is held in my a set screw taht is accessable from under the shutter mount. If you remove this you'll have to realign the focusing of the view screen to the film plane.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 152

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing, Can you see haze in the front or rear glass? If it's the front it won't be so big of a job.Hopefully you won't have to remove the deck with shims. Otherwise you will have to check for shims as mentioned. Don

Evisc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for good advice!
The haze is on the rear element. I tried to remove the mounting plate, but some previous owner seems to have poured lock tight on all the screws! Guess he didn't want the camera to be opened... Tried heating the screws, but haven't the right tools...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration