Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta SRT 101 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guinness133
Tinkerer
Username: Guinness133

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with my Minolta srt 101. When I press the shutter button, the mirror flips up, but stays up. The curtain does not move, and you have to crank the film advance to lower the mirror. Any suggestions?

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 34

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, SLRs operate like dominoes... the FTb that i picked apart operates like this:

1. press shutter button
2. diaphragm activator stops down aperture, random lever flips up mirror
3. levers connected to mirror move yet another lever and release 1st curtain...

i'm guessing yours works in a somewhat similar way, poke around, you might be able to find something.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be misunderstanding you, but does your shutter fire at all? When you say "the curtain does not move" I don't get what you're referring to unless it's the shutter, and if that's the case I don't see how you could crank the film advance. The whole thing is just as Dragunov says, it operates like dominoes and if the shutter didn't move, the rest of the sequence just wouldn't happen.

In case I misunderstood, the shutter is firing and the mirror just won't come down, this is a common problem for older SRT cameras that have sat for years and can sometimes be fixed by lubricating the mirror kick gear. If you remove the baseplate, there's a large white plastic gear with a tab which spins when the shutter is tripped, after which the tab hits a linkage at the end of shutter travel which causes the mirror to drop. A small drop of light oil on the pivot can sometimes remedy this problem, but if it doesn't, the camera needs a CLA. There are more extensive things that can be done, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone with no camera repair experience.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration