Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax RTS wind on problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax RTS wind on problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dmorg
Tinkerer
Username: Dmorg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, first post here (despite being a long time browser), sorry its asking and not helping.

I have a Contax RTS (Mark 1) that works fine, that is up until the last few frames of my last roll of film. They have overlapped each other, the spacing elsewhere is fine.

Having looked at it, it seems that whilst the spool closest to the shutter works correctly the spool closest to the hinge that contains the film loading slot(make sense?) doesn't drive under any pressure.
I've tried to take the base plate off to have a look for obvious faults but the two bottom screws just turn.

I don't mind tackling this myself, even though the camera is mint the cost of repair now is probably prohibitive so any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards and thanks in anticipation.

Dmorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone ? :-)

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recall seeing this problem on an RTS or the similar Yashica FR's. On a guess I would think that the toothed wind sprocket must be slipping if you see no torn perforations on the film. The mechanism is partly visible at the bottom so I would suggest getting the bottom plate off and running a junk roll of film through the camera with the bottom off and the back open.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 500

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haven't seen it in this camera, but often the engagement between the wind system and the sprocket consists of a small pin driven crosswise through the metal shaft inside the sprocket assembly, which engages a slot in the inner wall of the hollow plastic sprocket shaft. A bit of wear on the plastic and the pin can slip out of the slot and cause the problem you see. I've seen it in a Konica and even in a Zeiss Contax IIa (which is all metal). Sometimes this can be fixed, but the disassembly required to get to it in most cameras is a major undertaking.

Dmorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm really grateful for the response, certainly food for thought. Any clues as to why the bottom screws just turn?
Regards

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 75

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get the bottom off I would suggest backing off the screws at the ends while pulling gently out on the plate at the end. If it moves them out a bit, you might be able to get under them and prise them out.

But I have never seen this occur without some other more serious set of problems caused by amateur repair attempts. No experienced technician would abuse a Contax RTS (or any other camera for that matter) by stripping out screws. Once this occurs, there is no real way to do a normal approach to troubleshooting.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration