Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 - Film release button mistery Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon AE-1 - Film release button mistery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found several references to this problem in this forum and linkes sites, but no clear solution.

When rewinding film, the film release button remains depressed. As a result, the shutter doesn't fire and the advance lever doesn't advance. Unfortunately I don't know whether the shutter is cocked or not, and thus I don't know whether the problem is the shutter (i.e. the advance lever remains blocked because the shutter won't release) or the other way round (i.e. the shutter doesn't release because it is not cocked), but I suspect the latter.

Battery is OK, battery tester and meter works, shutter button lock is in "A", so the problem is not there.

Can anyone help?

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 131

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since you're rewinding the film anyway why not jiggle the s[rocket back and forth after you open the door?

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First thing to do is remove the base plate,2 screws.Sometimes this is what is stopping the button returning.
Now with the lens pointing away from you,just to the right of the button is a little lever and spring,ease that to the front of the camera,this should release the button.Now try the camera shutter a number of times,depressing the button between shutter releases to see if it sticks again.The problem could be as simple as a grain of sand blocking it.
Hope this helps.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 494

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The button has no effect whatsoever on your ability to wind the shutter, it's the other way around: not being able to wind the shutter is what's holding the button in. Go ahead and remove the baseplate, but instead of poking around with the release button, clean the electromagnet so that the shutter will release so that you can cock it again so that the button will pop out.

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it turns out the there is another and much simpler cause for this problem, and fortunately enough this was my case. I post it here because I though it could help other users.

When preparing to lift the bottom plate as per the above instructions, I noticed that the aperture control lever (the one under the mirror) had somehow remained blocked in the stop-down position (all to the left and showing a red dot). At first I though it was just another consequence of the shutter being jammed due to the magnet problem, but gently easing the lever back towards its correct position caused the shutter to immediately release, with the advance lever getting free and the film release button springing back out. The funny thing is that this took place while there was no battery in the camera, and thus by all logic the shutter should in anycase not be able to release.
The camera with a battery in it now operates normally (I've fired some 200-300 blank shots at all apertures and times combinations over the past hour, just to be on the safe side).

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 496

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news! Glad it worked out.

Simms207
Tinkerer
Username: Simms207

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed the bottom plate and released the shutter, was able to wind it one time now it's locked again. How do you clean the electromagnet? I was wondering since this was in the stuck position for a long time could that be the cause it won’t release each time ? Are there any websites the show this in picture or video?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration