Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA2 - temporarily bricked Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus XA2 - temporarily bricked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark
Tinkerer
Username: Mark

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
just grabbed a jammed-up XA2 for next to nothing on eBay, but before I wade in with a screwdriver I'd like your opinions on whether or not I'm barking up the right tree...

Main problem:
The shutter release won't fire, and yet the film advance thumbwheel won't budge forward even with considerable force applied - enough force to make me suspect it's already fully wound on, rather than jammed. However, I could be wrong, because the film rewind button on the base of the camera does also seem to be stuck down - it's sitting much lower in its hole than the one on my other (working) XA2, at any rate. Would that button being depressed account for the total lack of action from both the shutter release and the thumbwheel? And if so, how might I coax the film rewind button back up, given that I can't seem to get it with tweezers? (It appears that removing the bottom plate might be the only route, but alas there's a rusted screw holding that in place which has very little tread left on it and is flatly refusing to come out.)

Secondary issue:
Brand new batteries still can't coax any kind of bleep from the battery check mechanism, and yet the green 'long exposure' warning LED inside the viewfinder does come on when the (very reluctant and gravelly-feeling) clamshell is scraped open in low light. Does that indicate a problematic electrical fault, or just a cosmetic flaw? Could it be linked to or symptomatic of the issues outlined above?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice,
Mark

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mark. It is cocked, but it hasn't fired the shutter. The button on the bottom plate shouldn't have any bearing on it at this point. You definitely have an electrical problem of some sort...and it could be one of a couple of things. When the clamshell is opened, the shutter should be free to fire. It is sort of hard to say where the difficulty is. Have you tried the self-timer? Just a hope. Sometimes that may cause the camera to fire.
Jon

Mark
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon - thanks, and I'm honoured to get a response from the man himself! ;) (Seen you helping out a bunch of XA users during my google travels, hehe...)

Alas, no, the self-timer isn't doing anything...the shutter release doesn't respond with that activated, nor with the back panel open. It's strange that power seems to be getting to the camera to some degree, what with the viewfinder LEDs working and whatnot - makes me think it probably isn't a problem with batteries or contacts. I guess it might be a wiring problem up in the top section of the camera somewhere? Hm, not sure if I'm really qualified to perform surgery on that region! :/

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 103

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd check for battery problems first, because in my XA2 experience, the green light is the last thing to die, even when the rest of the camera does not work. Don't overlook the possibility of a bum battery. If you can, either check the voltages or try a couple of new ones. Alkalines are fine for testing this.

If no go, I'd open it up and hope for a wiring fault from battery box to the rest.

Mark
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks M_currie, I'll have a play around with the batteries and let you guys know whether it yields any results.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration