Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Repairing/ cleani/ servicing lenses Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Repairing/ cleani/ servicing lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 251

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More incidentally I stumbled into the business of opening and repairing lenses after getting an inoperative Exakta branded zoom (a Cosina) lens a while ago. With the assistance of skilful forum people I felt encouraged to get it back to working properly again.
Meanwhile I have tried to expand my knowledge in the inner make-up of zooms, bought some junkers, experimented a bit and was confronted with a number of problems. Maybe someone has practical answers to these questions.
#1: What are the reasons for single middle elements of a lens group to develop haze or fog-like stains (look definitely different from fungus) while the other lenses are pristine?
#2: What is a safe method of cleaning a single lens elements without touching it (and leaving traces of a fingerprint on the lens edge)?
#3: Is there anything more practical (and cheaper!) than the lens suction cups from microtools for safely handling glass elements during assembly or reassembly?
#4: Especially the rearmost lens group of zooms usually contains several almost identical elements that can easily be mixed up or mounted upside down. How can this sort of error be prevented?
This question may sound a bit simplehearted, but just imagine while being in the process of putting everything back again the phone is ringing ... (or, what can be worse, you hear your wife calling your name with some emphasis indicating there's something brewing ...).
W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration