Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exakta VX 1000 - is it all there? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Exakta VX 1000 - is it all there? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 98

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just started my first attempt at an Exakta! It is a VX1000 which has obviously had a very hard life. The area round the advance mechanism isn't making a lot of sense at the moment. I think either something is missing, or I have incorrect parts.

The wind lever return spring on other Exaktas is a spring like a very narrow clock spring, but on this one it is an ordinary wire spring. The outer tail of the spring is too short to engage with any fixed point in the vicinity (it appears to have been cut, not broken). Immediately above the spring is a washer whose bore is correct to fit over the advance drum, but sitting on top of the spring, there is nothing to stop it moving sideways into the spring's slot. I've attached a photo of the parts in the order they come off, including the sleeve that carries the frame-counter disc.

Would I be right in thinking the spring should be the usual flat wound spring and someone has fitted this one as a replacement? If so, and if I manage to find a suitable replacement (a watch spring?), how does the inner end of the spring attach to the advance drum - presumably it doesn't use the hole this wire spring uses?

VX1000_wind_mech

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration