Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zippo fluid - New Fomula Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zippo fluid - New Fomula « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dranav
Tinkerer
Username: Dranav

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi forum,

I've been lucky on eBay and got Black Canonet G-III that I wanted. It's real nice from outside and lens is scratchless (at least that's what the seller claims). Mechanical condition is not so good though. That doesn't bother me, since I got it so cheap (36 EUR for black GIII!) and read a lot on The Forum already and am prepared to restore it myself, at least to try it.

First thing I picked up in the store today was Zippo fluid, as Ronsonol alternative, for cleaning old light seal gunk and releasing stuck shutter blades. According to this forum, it should contain Naphtha. Back in the days I used Zippo lighter, I remember red Zippo lighter fluid can, and maybe it was Naphtha, but this one is black and says:
Premium
Lighter Fluid
Cleaner Burning
Improved Ignition
Low Odor
CONTENTS: Synthetic Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon

I've tried to google it and according to few sources it seems that this stuff is very similar to Naphtha, so I think I'm ok, but I just wanted to check if any of you guys use this stuff successfully for above mentioned tasks?

Regards,
Drazen

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checked my can, same label. It's almost empty and I found no problems while using it as I normally do.

Dranav
Tinkerer
Username: Dranav

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great!
Thanks
Cant' wait for that Canonet to arrive...

Regards,
Drazen

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 504

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naphtha is one of a family of chemicals that are collectively known as paraffins.

Absinthe
Tinkerer
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure how it compares, but certainly going into Home Depot or Lowes or most local hardware stores in the section where they have solvents and glues and such (usually near the paint section) will have a can of Naptha by the pint, quart or even gallon. As they will also have acetone, denatured alcohol, and MEK too. I gotta believe it is cheaper to buy it that way than to use lighter fluid... but that is just my opinion as I have not compared prices.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 540

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a lot cheaper.... but I've found a half pint squirt bottle to be so much more convenient around a camera shutter than a quart can that requires a carpenter's screwdriver to open, that I only buy the stuff in big cans that I can't get in a better package. Even at exorbitant lighter-fuel prices, I probably spend about as much on Naphtha in a year as I spend on soda in a day.

Absinthe
Tinkerer
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think that once you had the wonderful squirt bottle, it could be refilled :-)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 541

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope. Can't get the lid off, you'd have to refill it with a syringe, which makes the cost savings a very poor return on your labor.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Ronsonol in the small yellow plastic bottle (it comes in two sizes) with the blue cap. The cap has the little swing-up nozzle. What I do is pop the blue cap off the bottle and refill with naphtha when necessary - no syringe needed. Rick, maybe you could try this?

I use the small bottle as it's a little easier to handle.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 298

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

During my working days I acquired a couple of flammable solvent applicators. These are 250ml conical metal containers with adjustable brass nozzles, these unscrew to allow the container to be filled. Solvent is dispensed by pushing on the base of the container. I have seen similar items sold as small oil dispensers, but my items were supplied by our usual laboratory supply house and came in various sizes. Perhaps other forum members have seen something similar?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 542

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can only speak for myself here: I am REALLY not that desperate to save a dollar a year.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a 1oz oiler in a model railroad hobby shop with a hair-thin needle, about the size of a #70 drill bit. Talk about precise placement! The only problem is that it is so hard to see the tip...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration