Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M on/off switch Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta XG-M on/off switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike2424
Tinkerer
Username: Mike2424

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone. I have a Minolta XG-M that im trying to get working again. Its been broke for a few years now. It seems that the on/off switch isnt doing anything. I let a use it for a second and when they turned it off its never turned on again, and i have replaced the batteries. it doesnt appear that the wind lock is stuck or anything like that. ive heard sometimes you need to replace the "aluminum electrolytic capacitors". Anyone know if there is anything else i can try before that? the shutter release does nothing and it will not allow me to wind to the next shot (if i were to put film in it). Thank you for anyone who can help.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 76

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the wind lock isn't stuck and you can wind it on.

But you say that you cannot wind it on?

If it powers up (lights in the led in the viewfinder) and does not release, then you have the classic capacitor problem which solution has been explained here years ago and which you can find by the search function.

Try that and if it fails come back for more advice.

Mike2424
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry,
what i meant to say is that the power will not turn on. it seems that maybe something in the switch isnt working. I cannot wind the camera at all, when i try to push the shutter release button, there is no click and nothing happens.

I checked the article about the wind lock on this site. That does not appear to be the problem, because i can move the lock and wind the camera, then it locks up again.

It almost seems that the power problem is leading to the shutter problem, which leads to not being able to wind the camera at all.

I hope that makes sense.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 77

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok first you need to make sure that you have the batteries inserted correctly. This camera will not release a wound shutter without battery power.

You need two 1.5 volt button cells and they need to be inserted with the printing up and visible. But you need to look at the battery holder and determine that it is clean and not corroded. I usually wipe off button cells with a clean cloth or tissue before using them.

There is a small black button on the top of the camera at the front between the shutter speed dial and the wind lever. It functions as a battery check and it will light up the red LED on the front of the camera next to the self timer switch. Try that and get back with the results.

Mike

Mike2424
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes!!! Thank you so much. It didn't seem like the holder was corroded but i cleaned it off and now its working. How simple! I was afraid it was so many other possible things. Thank you so much Mike!

Bawpcwpn
Tinkerer
Username: Bawpcwpn

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having a very similar issue. I have the same camera and it hasn't been used in quite a few years. I put new batteries in when it wouldn't win or even turn on, but to no avail. I a rubber and gently tried to clean the nodes in the battery compartment but they look clean. I also wiped down the batteries and the compartment with a tissue, and it worked for a few seconds but then no power yet again.

Any help on what might be causing it would be greatly appreciated :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration