Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh 519 focus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Ricoh 519 focus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I mistakenly posted this in the light seals thread - Oops. I'll catch on. Anyway,
Greetings all,
This is my first post on this site. I've been reading it with amazed enthusiasm for weeks. Now, I have a question. I just bought a Ricoh 519 rangefinder that appears to be in excellent condition except the focus doesn't move. It's frozen beyond the point of reasonable force. It wouldn't surprise me to learn there's some kind of lock, or other trick to making it move. I thought I'd start with this resourceful group. My experience with camera repair shops hasn't been too great. I'm very handy, so I'm determined to repair it myself. Any input is gratefully appreciated.
thank you,
Michael

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a thread "Yashica 35 stiff lens" which covers the same issue for a camera of the same age. What is dicussed there should apply to the Ricoh 519 as well. Some details might be different but the general line should be the same.

Btw: The 519 must be a nice camera. I would really appreciate to find one however I never saw one coming up in Germany. Some month ago I grepped a 520 which I like very much. My 520 has a smooth focus only the shutter was frozen which was much easier to cure.

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Gang,
After reading some of the other threads, I did the lighter fluid thing through the gaps around the outside of the lens (I don't know if that's right or not) and around some of the opening on the inside of the lens. Then, I heated the lens barrel with a hair dryer on high for about two minutes. It didn't work the first time, but on the second heating attempt a little force on the focus levers - yes, this one has levers on the outside of the lens - it started focusing like nobody's business. I just love this group! And now, I have a special favorite camera, too. Yeehaw.
thanks again,
Michael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration