Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Micro Meter repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Micro Meter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bomobob
Tinkerer
Username: Bomobob

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this is a longshot, but has anyone ever successfully repaired a Micro-Meter light meter?
(one can be seen here...not my picture: http://swcornell.com/images/micrometer.jpg)

This was my father's meter waaaaay back in the 60s and 70s, and it's been sitting in a drawer for years. The needle was pinned, not moving, so I opened it up.
The magnet had broken away from its metal frame, so the coil was stuck right to it. I took off the coil and tried to solder the magnet in place. I didn't do a bad job, and was able to reassemble it, but the spiral springs at the top and bottom of the winding don't look very nice anymore, and short to the frame in places, so it does not work, even though the coil now turns freely around the magnet.
And the selenium cell does respond to light, which is good.

Is it humanly possible to get the delicate spiral coil springs back into place, or have I really reached the limits of what can and can't be repaired?

Thanks,
Bob

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 272

Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It may be possible to manipulate the springs with 'tools' made from wooden dental tooth picks. The type I use are made from thin pieces of flat wood. Cut a thin slot in the end with a model knife, then place spring in slot and very gently 'reshape' the spring. All you are really doing is bending the spring, so that is does not short to the frame.

Obviously, this is much easier the larger the coil spring. I have done this on three old meters - I do like my collectibles to have some semblance of correct function. I would not recommend that you subject the repaired meter to many knocks, I find the treated springs can easily get knocked out of alignment and into a messy bundle!

Simonjko
Tinkerer
Username: Simonjko

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fixed a few of Nikon's meter by hand and I think with a steady hand, you can roll that delicate spring and solder them. However, calibrating is another matter. Repaired meter never worked wight. As long as there's no short in the coil, use eraser in tint round shape and roll the spring against hard surface with eraser pressing against it. After a few rolls, spring winn re shape into coiled state. Now solder spring on the coil end first. I let it float first, center it, mark the position and solder.
Good luck, it will take a good part of your three day weekend.

Bomobob
Tinkerer
Username: Bomobob

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In frustration, I have to admit I gave up. They don't cal it a Micro meter for nothing. The coils are impossibly small. I didn't actually removed the coils from the assembly, so maybe if I did, I could give it another shot, but I have too many other projects for now. Anyway, I gave in and bought a new Sekonic L-208 to use with my older cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration