Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro 35 gt : focus ring bl... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica electro 35 gt : focus ring blocked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

G11o
Tinkerer
Username: G11o

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello everybody
i just purchased my very first rangefinder on the bay : a yashica electro 35 gt in a pretty good shape with full optical complements and for a very low price.
i was happy to take it in hand and practice it when the focus ring suddenly became hard to move, then completely blocked. is it a well "known bug" (i haven't found anything about that problem on the web) and is it possible to fix it ?
thanks for your help.
ps: excuse my english, i'm french and i haven't practiced english for a while...

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 255

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it had been hard to turn from the beginning I would say your camera's problem was caused by dried out grease in the helicoil, but what you describe reminds me of another problem that once occured to me after I had regreased the helicoil with fresh grease. The aluminium focusing ring is attached to its brass movable part underneath with three locking screws. If these screws have worked loose and for some reason have slipped out of the groove into which their pointed tips belong they can block the ring from turning, and even more so if it is slightly tilted. Although it is not too difficult to loosen and retighten the grub screws it is not so very easy for a newbie to exactly hit the brass ring's groove and retighten all of them with the same torque (overtightening just one of them can also cause the dysfunction). Unfortunately, after having changed the focus ring's position, infinity focus adjustment is inevitable. Hope this helps a bit, W.

G11o
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for your help wernerjb.
i have noticed the three little screws.
didn't want to touch them since i didn't know their utility but i expected they were in cause. i'll give it a try this evening with your description of the interaction between the ring and its underneath part. but i also suspect some grease leak in the helicoil. after your explanation, my mind is that some grease leak has caused the screws to finally leave their groove.
could you tell me please how you reached the helicoil and what kind of lubricant you used ?
hope it will work as i like the intuitive ergonomy of this box and the low light tolerance of its lense (the only points i could enjoy until now !...)

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 256

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My info on the infinity/helicoil/grease matters refers to more than just the Y electro 35 series. Unfortunately the electros hardly allow regreasing the helicoil without taking the camera apart (a procedure which is a lot easier with other mechanical Yashicas like the Minister series or the Lynxes).
After studying this link you will understand why:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/picnet/electro/page_01.htm
There are always a lot of wires in the way.
My first electro is still in pieces because I broke wires and do not know where they go. On later electros there was more work to do, so I freed the rectangular lens carrier front plate from the body very carefully (because of the wires) and unscrewed both the rear lens cell. Usually there is enough slack in the wires to the shutter, so the shutter plus lens can be lifted to the front after removal of the (black) retainer ring (lens spanner tool). With some skill it is possible to put in some grease (similar to the grease used for gas or water taps, temperature stable) into the thread.
But I cannot recommend that you do this job unless you have some repair experience!

G11o
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you Werner for these informations.
i think i have made the good choice by negotiating a standard exchange with the vendor. he's got a specialized technician in his zone (bordeaux in SW France), which i haven't in my town (Lyon is supposed to be the second city of France by the way). it seems the analogical photography is on its way to disappear completely...

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 262

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear you have solved the camera problem. What you say about regular photography does not sound too promising, maybe I will be the only one using 35mm SLR equipment and slide film when I am on holiday in France in the summer..., W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration