Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K2 or K1000? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax K2 or K1000? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gregt
Tinkerer
Username: Gregt

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 1976 I bought a Pentax K2 black body camera from the Audio/Photo club at an air base in Germany. It was the best camera I ever had, unfortunately it was stolen years ago. But here is my question. "This" Pentax K2 was more like a K1000 because it had the same match needle light meter just had to get the needle in the middle(Not the blue flag on most k2), also the ASA setting was like a K1000 because you set it on top where the shutter speed dial is. I cannot find this type of K2 anywhere. Was this a special edition or something. I tried google on K2, but none are like the K2 I had.

Thanks

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer
Username: Shutterbug2

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

look in keh website under vintage cameras then under pentax screwmount. see if any thing looks familiar. www.keh.com James

Gregt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the reply, but found nothing. I am certain it was a Pentax K2, but haven't been able to find it.

Thanks

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer
Username: Shutterbug2

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there,s quiet few pics and articles on pentax k2 on google. but you say none were like yours. did yours say ashai pentax on front.maybey since you purchased it in germany maybey your,s was different from norm since it was shipped overseas by pentax. they came out in 1975 they sold them for short period of time. the k2,s on google look like they have asa setting under shutter speed knob. it,s hard to tell by angle of pics to be sure. one things for sure you can,t go wrong with older ashai pentax camera. my father used one for 30 years with out having bit of trouble with his. he shot alot of color slide pics with it. good luck in your quest to find another. James

Gregt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for reply. I don't recall it saying ashai, I believe just Pentax but not certain. I think I did have the k2 as I described and believe it was because I bought it overseas as you suggested. If I ever do find the answer, I'll post it.

Thanks again.

Nickm758
Tinkerer
Username: Nickm758

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here it is in Japanese:

http://www.pentax-fan.jp/BODY/K2.html

http://kitatoma.pepo.jp/hobby_room/1_camera/Pentax_K2.htm

Looks just like a K1000

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knowing how time can play tricks on the memory, is it possible that you may have had an SP2, which would have been at the tail end of its availability new in 1976?
That had the match needle in the middle system, ASA setting on top and was available in black. I know the K2 very well both outside and inside and I don't think it would have been easily adaptable from blue flag to match needle metering for a possible small production run.

Hope you find the answer!

Steve

Helens
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregt,

Are you sure it wasn't a KX or KM? They were launched alongside the K2 (somewhat before the K1000) but are manual metering cameras with the same zero-needle setup as the K1000 (and actually the same shutter too) - actually the K2 is the odd one out of the range, having a completely different shutter and being the only one with aperture priority - and thus the blue flag-on-full shutterspeed scale in the finder. I don't think it could be altered to behave as you remember - the only camera I can think of, offhand, that could swap from a scale to this type of zero-needle display for manual was the Olympus OM-2...

But back to the Pentaxes, the KX was the posher of the two (KM and KX) - the KM was little different from the K1000, so the KX would be the more likely one to find in black.

Helen

Helens
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 20

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS, forget my comments about the KX - I just remembered that although it's otherwise the top model of the K1000-series chassis, it has the same viewfinder display as the K2 (when the latter is set to manual exposure) - so it wouldn't be the one you remember... So maybe the KM if you're sure it wasn't a K1000?

Helen

Lacyt
Tinkerer
Username: Lacyt

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must've had the KM, if not the K1000.

http://www.mikebutkus.com/chinon/pentax/pentax_km/pentax_km.htm

(good source for quality and free downloadable factory manuals/guides)

I have a KX and a K2. Both have the blue match needle shutter.

You'd know in a heartbeat if you'd had a K2 because both the ASA ring and an exposure compensation ring are located on the body of the camera at the lens opening. A real bear to operate when they get old and dried out. But (this is a MUST) slap on a body cap good and snug, a very tiny spritz of silicon spray, work them a bit, and in no time, they'll freewheel just like new!

The K2 is both automatic and manual. The KX is fully manual only.

Lacyt
Tinkerer
Username: Lacyt

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another good source of manuals and photos.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/mfmanuals.htm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration