Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rapax shutter - blade operating sprin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Rapax shutter - blade operating spring busted. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently restoring a Ciro Flex Model F and I know I should have looked at Daniel Mitchell's web site before I started...

I got the shutter to run pretty accurately on all speeds, however, in the process of figuring out how the thing works, I broke the blade operating spring (see the sixth image on Daniel Mitchell's excellent Rapax shutter page: http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/rapax/rapax.html ). Now the shutter seems to work o.k. without the spring, except in T and B settings, where I have to work the shutter release to get the shutter to close.

Here is my question: Can this spring be made from some type of copper sheet, or is it made of some other material? If it is made from copper, what thickness would I have to buy, and what is a good source for it? Alternatively, does anybody out there have a busted Rapax shutter with a blade operating spring that is still intact? If so, I would be willing to buy or trade it, please let me know.

I would really like to fully restore this camera, since the Raptar lens on it is really nice. I already ran some film through it, yesterday, and I am pretty impressed (see http://flickr.com/photos/wakingsky/sets/72157603928205013/ ).

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 162

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are speaking of the main spring it is coil and made of steel. The photo shows a brass retainer and that coulde made of brass shim stock, the right thickness and is available from hhobby stores . Raptar is a very good lens and the Rapax needed very little repairs except for cleaning once in a while. Don

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's the brass thingy, I will check at the hobby store, next week. Thanks!

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 78

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Model F is a scarce and fine camera which will produce a quality photograph equal to any Rolleiflex.

I think that all "F"'s were made here in Delaware, Ohio, possibly by my Mom or my Aunt Caroline in the late 1940's. They both worked for Ciro as teenagers.

If the hobby store thing does not work out for you, let me know as I have several Rapax shutters for parts.

The drawback: it could be a while before before I can actually dig them out of my chaotic collection.

Mike

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike for your offer. I will try our craft store, today.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I bought some brass shim stock and attempted to make a replacement blade opening spring. As it turns out this spring is originally not made from brass but maybe copper and a lot stiffer than brass. So the brass shim stock route was unfortunately a dead end. I guess I could look for some copper of the same thickness, but it seems that getting the shape of this spring just right is going to be very difficult. It serves two purposes: first, it keeps the shutter blades closed when the shutter is being cocked, and second, when the shutter is tripped, it provides a bit extra boost to the blade opening mechanism to open the blades completely. If the angle at which the spring pushes against the blade opening cam isn't perfect it will only do one but not the other.

I guess I will try to find a replacement spring. If somebody has a Rapax shutter for parts (Mike?), I would be happy to buy it from them. Alternatively, I guess, a Ciro Flex with the 85mm lens and Rapax shutter could be a cheaper parts camera. Judging from Daniel Mitchel's pictures, the Rapax shutter on that camera has the same spring as the one in the Ciro Flex Model F, that I have.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration