Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Light Meter Problem with Pentax KM Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Light Meter Problem with Pentax KM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Realcooltime
Tinkerer
Username: Realcooltime

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After owning and losing a great Pentax KM in the late '70s, I recently purchased a used one for $60 on Ebay. It's in great shape, clean, and even came with the original case and owner's manual, but the light meter isn't working. I've tried two new batteries (Energizer EPX76) but the light meter needle stays in the center. I was told the camera has been sitting in a closet for years, so I don't know if that's a factor. I wouldn't even know where to bring it in for repair as I've been out of the loop camera-wise for awhile. If anyone could help with any suggestions I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 45

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try to clean the battery terminals with a pencil eraser; sometimes that helps. As for service, I recommend Eric Hendrickson:

http://pentaxs.com/

Realcooltime
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Donnie. I've already tried cleaning the terminals with an eraser, but with no luck. I wanted to make sure I was using the right kind of batteries as well, but I think I am. Thank you so much for your reply and the link to Eric Hendrickson. I'll definitely check it out. It's just so frustrating because it's obvious this is a well-cared-for camera, and everything else works perfectly. Hopefully I can get this light meter problem sorted out. Thanks again.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're very welcome. I have a KX that was in great cosmetic shape but the meter got more and more erratic over time, and then the slow speeds began to get troublesome. I sent it to Eric and he fixed it right up; now it's like new.

Realcooltime
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to thank Donnie Strickland for referring me to Eric Hendrickson. After shipping my camera to him, he sent me a very reasonable estimate which not only included replacing the corroded battery contact and meter parts but also cleaning and lubrication, light seals and mirror bumper, and meter and speed calibration. I had my camera back within 10 days of the day I shipped it. Now not only do I have a spotless 32-year-old Pentax KM with working meter, but it's also received the cleaning and maintenance it surely needed. I'd recommend Eric to anyone needing repairs or maintenance to their Pentax cameras. And thanks, Donnie, for providing me with the link. I feel very fortunate that I found this forum. :-)

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric is the Pentax man! Glad I could help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration