Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh Diacord G, Apeture Leaves Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Ricoh Diacord G, Apeture Leaves « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug
Tinkerer
Username: Doug

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have a way of getting these little guys together. There are 10 of them and I get close and they fall out of the holes in the ring. I've spent more than a couple of hours already. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the lens elements out, then one way is to support the shutter in such a way so that you can place something cylindrical in the middle of the shutter that the shutter blades can rest on as you put them in position. Using de-magnetized or non-ferrous tools might help.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 515

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard of special tricks, but I have none myself except patience. On the question of nonferrous tools, I use a toothpick to hold the top blade down while I juggle the next one in.

I do have some information from a guy who designed and built a vacuum pump that sucks the blades down into position and holds them there while he assembles the set. Very clever and effective, but a lot of work and expense to build the machine.

Doug
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something I saw in searching this forum was reference to using a small amount of grease to hold them down, followed by a solvent rinse to get rid of the grease. I am not a happy camper as the camera is otherwise pristine. The sticky apeture just bothered me. It was to the point that I feared the lingage would become bent or damaged and render it useless anyways. I have all the pieces and I am not giving up.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 517

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard that too, but I've never been able to face the idea of going to all that work to get the oil and grease out of it and then put grease in it on reassembly. If that's what it takes, though, it's worth it. Try using the smallest amount you possibly can.

Doug
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well a little bit of wheel bearing grease at the aperture pivots made a world of difference. After I got it togther, I flushed them with lighter fluid. I also cleaned up the shutter before coupling it with the aperture and it now works appropriately at all speeds. Even the self timer works again! One small problem though; a small spring that keeps the shutter leaves settled while cocking the shutter went for ride in my shop while reassembling. I made one up from a guitar E string. I think it's going to work. I just have to play with the tension a bit. I found out that by removing the low speed pallet I can have perfect access to install the spring properly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration